Posted by:19 November, 2012
- NICE guidance recommends early mobilisation and optimum positioning of people with acute stroke
- Early mobilisation and good positioning can help patients regain function and reduce complications
- Nurses have a vital role in early mobilisation as they are present 24 hours a day
- Patients benefit if nurses share working practices with the rest of the stroke unit team
- Specialist equipment should be used in collaboration with the therapy team
- How many deaths in the first 30 days post-stroke are due to immobility?
- List the complications of immobility following a stroke.
- How soon can patients mobilise after a stroke?
- What role should nurses have in mobilising and positioning patients after a stroke? What education and training is recommended for nurses?
- What are the key components of an individualised management plan?
How do we put research into practice in the surgery or the hospital ward? Each week we’ll pick out a practice article and pose some topics for debate and you can pose your own questions too …Follow the weekly debates on twitter with #NTjournalclub