Two nurses and a former nurse have been named as the best in their field at this year’s NHS Leadership Recognition Awards.
Organised by the NHS Leadership Academy, the awards recognise and celebrate outstanding leadership practice in health.
Brigid Stacey, a nurse at Derby Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, has been named “NHS Quality Champion of the Year”.
Michael Woodhouse, a charge nurse at Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, was named as “NHS Mentor of the Year”.
Meanwhile, former nurse Paula Vasco-Knight, now chief executive at South Devon Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust, was given the “NHS Award for Inspiration”.
All three were honoured for their work along with other NHS staff at an awards ceremony earlier this month.
The award winners were nominated by their peers and were put through a three stage judging process. The judging panel, chaired by NHS medical director Sir Bruce Keogh, included Royal College of Nursing chief executive and general secretary Peter Carter.
Sir Bruce said: “Outstanding leadership is vital to the NHS and can impact greatly on staff morale and patient outcomes.”
Jan Sobieraj, managing director at the NHS Leadership Academy, added: “Each of the winners has, in one way or another, created an environment where the people around them feel empowered to develop and flourish. This in turn improves the quality of care for patients.
“I congratulate each and every one of them for the inspirational work they do.”
Other award winners included:
- NHS Leader of the Year (joint winners) – Professor Opinder Sahota, a consultant in elderly medicine at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust and Dr Richard Martin, Head of Substance Misuse at NHS Derby City PCT and Derby City Council
- NHS Newcomer of the Year – Dr Darren Kilroy, Clinical Director for acute and emergency services at Stockport NHS Foundation Trust
- NHS Community Leader of the Year – Natalie Belt, Health Trainer Service Manager at Humber NHS Foundation Trust
- NHS Innovator of the Year – Philip O’Connell, Information Technology Professional at NHS Stoke-on-Trent Clinical Commissioning Group
- NHS Partnership of the Year – Integrated Care Pilot, NHS North West London
- NHS Board of the Year – York Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust