Five specialist nurses have won funding grants for research into inflammatory bowel disease.
They are the first recipients of Shire Innovation Fund grants, which were issued by Shire Pharmaceuticals on 10 June. They are:
- Mark Sephton, an IBD specialist nurse from Aintree University Hospital in Liverpool
- David Armour, IBD clinical nurse specialist from Raigmore Hospital, Inverness
- Fran Bredin, IBD specialist nurse from Addenbrooke’s Hospital, Cambridge
- Rowan Shaws, IBD nurse specialist from James Paget University Hospitals NHS Trust, Great Yarmouth
- Catherine Stansfield, IBD nurse specialist from Hope Hospital, Salford
The fund was established by Shire Pharmaceuticals in March this year. It is aimed at supporting nurses working in IBD who want to develop their services further by making available up to 10 grants per year, each up to a maximum £1,500.
The next round of funding is now open for applications. The deadline for submitting applications is 10 October 2009.