Nurses recognised in honours list
A leading health visitor and a nurse turned manager have been made dames in the New Year Honours list.
Professor Sarah Cowley is credited with leading the academic research which created the evidence base for modern health visiting.
She retired last year after a career that began in nursing, but has focused on health visiting since 1980. She joined King’s College London in 1992 and was appointed as Professor of Community Practice Development five years later.
She recently co-led a programme of research to support the government’s Health Visitor Implementation Plan.
Professor Cowley is also a trustee and founding member of the new Institute of Health Visiting, which was launched at the end of 2012.
Nancy Hallett OBE has worked in the NHS for over 35 years, becoming chief executive of Homerton University Hospital Foundation Trust in 1999.
She joined the trust in 1993 as director of nursing and patient services, having previously worked in nurse management and education.
She is credited with overseeing the London trust’s achievement of top ratings while delivering integrated healthcare for a locally deprived population, and is regularly present on the wards.
Four members of the profession have become Officers of the Order of the British Empire, including the former chief nursing officer for Northern Ireland Martin Bradley, and Professor Kath Fenton, chief nurse at University College Hospitals London NHS Foundation Trust.
There are also eight Members of the Order of the British Empire and three Medallists of the Order of the British Empire.
Full list of honours recipients:
Dames Commander of the Order of the British Empire
- Professor Sarah Ann COWLEY. For services to Health Visiting.
- Ms Nancy HALLETT, OBE. Former Chief Executive, Homerton University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust. For services to Healthcare.
Officers of the Order of the British Empire
- Audrey Therese, Mrs ARDERN-JONES. Associate Lecturer, The Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust. For services to Cancer Genetics Nursing Care
- Martin Eugene BRADLEY. Lately Chief Nursing Officer. For services to Nursing in Northern Ireland and the UK
- Professor Katherine FENTON. Chief Nurse, University College Hospitals London NHS Foundation Trust. For services to Nursing
- Eileen, Mrs MOIR. Lately Executive Director of Nursing, Health Improvement Scotland. For services to Nursing and Healthcare
Members of the Order of the British Empire
- Jessie, Mrs COLQUHOUN. Lately Community Nurse, NHS Highland. For services to Healthcare in Ardnamurchan, Argyll
- Miss Elizabeth Joyce DOHERTY. For services to Nursing and Healthcare in Northern Ireland
- David FERGUSON. Consultant Nurse (Learning Disabilities and Mental Health), Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust. For services to Nursing
- Jean, Mrs GLYNN. Children’s Service Manager, Health Visiting and School Nursing, Stoke-on-Trent. For services to Healthcare
- Ms Ann Marjorie JOHNSON. Nurse Educator, Lecturer and Alzheimer’s Campaigner. For services to Healthcare
- Vera Elizabeth, Mrs KELSO. Lead Midwife, the Southern Health and Social Care Trust. For services to Nursing in Northern Ireland
- Dr Vina MAYOR. Chair, Nursing and Midwifery Council Fitness to Practice Panel, Bedfordshire. For services to the NHS
- Patricia Jayne, Mrs MUDD. Nurse Consultant, Cardiac Rhythm Management, South Tees Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust. For services to Healthcare
Medallist of the Order of the British Empire
- Anthony HOPKINS. Associate Director of Day Care Services, Broadmoor Hospital. For services to Nursing
- Patricia Anne, Mrs SPENCER. Chair of NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde Area Nursing and Midwifery Committee. For services to Nursing in Glasgow
- Elizabeth Gordon, Mrs WILLIAMSON
Ophthalmology Charge Nurse, NHS Borders. For services to Ophthalmology in the
Online training units, written and reviewed by experts. Earn two hours' CPD and a personalised certificate for your portfolio.
Subscribers get FREE unlimited access to all our online learning units and non-subscribers can access each learning unit for £10 + VAT.