Norfolk community nurse among nominees for multiple schlerosis care award
A specialist neurological nurse from Norfolk is in the running for a national charity award for multiple sclerosis care.
Suzie Mallett, who works for Norfolk Community Health and Care NHS Trust, has been nominated for the Multiple Sclerosis Trust’s “My Super Nurse” award.
Ms Mallett has held the role since 2011 and provides expert care to patients in north Norfolk with MS as well as Parkinson’s, motor neurone disease, and Huntingdon’s.
She initially gives patients an introduction to their condition after referral and then sees them routinely, at a local community clinic or within their own home. Patients are provided with telephone contact details, so they can contact her between appointments if needed.
Commenting on her nomination, Ms Mallett said: “I have been so taken aback to have been nominated, particularly because it’s the first time I have been put forward for an award.
“I find caring for my patients to be really rewarding in itself, but it is lovely to know that my patients think I deserve to be in the running for an official title.”
One of Ms Mallett’s patients, Caroline Hayman, said: “Suzie is a fantastic nurse and has made all the difference to me. I see her every three months and we go over how I’m feeling, what’s working well for me, and what could be better.
“As well as answering my questions and helping me herself, Suzie is also an intermediary for me with my other clinicians. If I am confused by anything or I need more information about my care, she’ll explain it clearly for me or speak to my consultant on my behalf,” she said.
Ms Hayman, who was diagnosed with MS two and a half years ago, added: “Suzie always goes the extra mile. She’s arranged for me to get some extra support and even researched available grants and funding that could help me out.”
Ms Mallett will find out if she has won later today.
Other nominees for the award include (click on the links to find out more about their work):
- Liam Rice, an MS nurse at the Royal Hallamshire Hospital in Sheffield
- Lindsay Harrison, an MS nurse at Salford Royal NHS Foundation Trust
- Jayne Roberts, an MS specialist nurse at Worcestershire Health and Care NHS Trust
- Margaret Topping, the specialist MS nurse at Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust
- Pauline Shaw, the lead specialist MS nurse at King’s College Hospital in south London
- Fiona Mullan, who in 2003 was appointed MS Nurse Specialist at the Western Health and Social Care Trust, becoming the first MS nurse in Northern Ireland outside Belfast
Judith Brassington, an MS specialist nurse in South Cumbria, won the 2012 My Super Nurse award.