Article: Bell H, Hope W (2012) Supporting young people to move to adult services. Nursing Times; 108: 50, 12-14.
5 key points
- With better life expectancy, more patients are transferring from paediatric to adult renal services
- Good support can help young adults to cope better with this transition and to manage their own disease
- NHS Kidney Care is overseeing five Supporting Young Adults (SYA) projects
- The East Midlands SYA project aims to improve clinical outcomes
- Early results show that young people feel that the support being offered is beneficial
- How do you define the term young adult?
- Why is transition from paediatric to adult services difficult for young adults with long terms conditions?
- What problems do young adults with long terms conditions experience in education, employment and social lives?
- What support do they need to cope with transition?
- How would you organise a service for young adults with long term conditions in your specialty?