By continuing to use the site you agree to our Privacy & Cookies policy

Your browser seems to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser.


Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.


Woman dies after tanning injection

Health watchdogs issued another warning today after a young woman died after taking illegal tanning injections bought off the internet.

Jenna Vickers, 26, from Bolton, was found slumped in a tanning shop in the town on Monday.

Staff broke down the door of the cubicle she was in but could not save her.

It is not yet known if there is any link between Miss Vickers’ death and the tanning injections.

But on August 17, in an entry on Miss Vickers’ Twitter page, she indicated she had taken the jabs.

She said: “Getting a lovely tan now … And I’ve had no no side effects :) Very happy Bunny.”

Tanning injections of the product Melanotan are banned from sale in the UK but can be bought online.

Melanotan is a synthetic hormone that encourages the body to produce melanin, the body’s natural protection from the sun, which also darkens the skin.

But the drug, which has to be injected into the skin, has not been given official approval as safe to use.

The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA), which regulates medicines and ensures they are safe to use, appealed for anyone who has bought the drug to contact them.

A spokesman said: “We are warning people not to use this product.

“Melanotan is not licensed for use in the UK and there is no information about its safety. Side effects from its use could be extremely serious.”



Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment.

Related Jobs

Sign in to see the latest jobs relevant to you!