5 KEY POINTS
- C difficile is increasingly a community-acquired infection
- Some patients experience recurrent episodes of C difficile
- Deep cleaning in care homes can help prevent such recurrences
- Hospital nurses can provide skills, knowledge and support to community teams
- By working in partnership, nurses can keep the circulation of pathogens between hospital and the community to a minimum
- List the patient groups who are at high risk of contracting C difficile?
- Describe how C difficile is transmitted?
- After reading this article explain why is there an increase in the numbers of community acquired C difficile infections?
- Why do you think the authors of this article were successful in reducing infections?
- What steps should care home staff take to clean the environment following a C difficile infection?
- How would you train community domestic support teams to manage environmental cleaning after an infection?