Sarah Calkin is a Nursing Times and HSJ reporter. For Nursing Times, Sarah focuses on pain management, older persons, wound care, nutrition and accident & emergency. For HSJ, she focuses on the Department of Health, the new National Commissioning Board, strategic health authorities, ambulance trusts, pharmaceutical and patient safety.
- Tel: 020 3033 2791
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Nursing and Midwifery Council’s decision to caution former Mid Staffordshire Foundation Trust chief nurse Jan Harry is being challenged in the High Court on the grounds it is “unduly lenient”.
Many trusts will need to increase their nurse numbers to comply with new national guidance on setting safe staffing levels in England, Nursing Times has been told. Meanwhile, latest workforce data shows huge variation between hospitals.
The government has at least partially accepted all but nine of Robert Francis QC’s 290 recommendations to improve care in the NHS, it has announced.
- Francis response: Hunt confirms no minimum staffing level or HCA regulation
- Nurse leaders divided over minimum staffing levels
- Exclusive: Forum challenges government over staffing levels
- Exclusive: Government to order urgent action on staffing levels
- Plans for duty of candour hanging on 'knife edge', warns charity
- NICE to start work on safe staffing guideline
- Exclusive: Nurse staffing levels to be reviewed and made public