Sarah Calkin is a senior correspondent on Health Service Journal who contributes to Nursing Times. She writes mainly on issues affecting patient safety and regulation.
- Tel: 020 3033 2791
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
NHS England has announced a surprise £60m boost to the cancer drugs fund, bringing it up to £340m for 2015-16, even as it slashes the number of drugs or indications available by 25.
NHS England is to start evaluating the cost effectiveness of medicines available through the cancer drugs fund in a bid to bring the budget under control
A new patient safety drive to halve avoidable harm in England will be “brave” and not follow the usual “paternal” NHS approach to pushing for improvements, according to the senior nurse leading the Sign up Safety Campaign.
Almost half the intake of nurses recruited from Spain and Portugal by a trust in the South West have resigned, highlighting a wider problem in the region of retaining staff from overseas.
A mental health trust has been ordered to make urgent improvements to the safety of its services by the Care Quality Commission.
Nurses from all disciplines and care settings are being urged to join a social media campaign highlighting all the reasons the profession has to be proud of what it does for patients.
A nurse who worked side by side with the British nurse who contracted ebola in Sierra Leone has become the latest healthcare professional at the hospital to die from the deadly virus, Nursing Times has learnt.
The NHS has failed to treat calls for action on sepsis with appropriate urgency, MPs have said.
The Royal College of Nursing has joined a coalition of 21 organisations calling on political parties to be open about their plans for the NHS ahead of next year’s general election.
A nurse led approach to managing asthma in the community can reduce admissions among children by 40%, new London based research has found.
- NICE seeks new recruits for prestigious positions
- Nurse to take on government minister in general election battle
- Pressure grows for action on sepsis
- New award for compassionate care
- Call for safer blood transfusions
- Ebola nurse discharged from hospital
- Government seeks out of hours working for 'no additional pay'
- Three hospital trusts must stay in special measures, CQC decides
- Francis to explore 'culture of fear' in new NHS whistleblowing inquiry
- New NHS website to identify trusts with 'poor reporting culture'