Shaun Lintern is a news reporter on Health Service Journal who contribures regularly to Nursing Times. He writes mainly about workforce issues and also covers mental health.
- Tel: 0203 033 2788
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
A significant U-turn by the management of Barts Health Trust has seen a sacked whistleblowing union rep re-instated after being dismissed almost two years ago.
New training standards for healthcare assistants should be made mandatory as a step towards “inevitable” full registration of the care workforce, according to the author of a major review.
The NHS workforce has grown by more than 2% over the past 12 months, according to latest figures, but managers admit that recruitment is failing to keep pace with demand.
Health service employers have insisted they do not want to rip up the Agenda for Change contract, but instead want to “reform and update” it.
Ministers should extend the legal protection for NHS staff who raise whistleblowing concerns through a system to also help those out of work find new jobs in the service, the Francis review has said.
The implementation of a new system of checks on nurses, called revalidation, will raise standards in the profession, the chief executive of the Nursing and Midwifery Council has claimed.
A major review of NHS whistleblowing by Sir Robert Francis QC will be published on 11 February, it has been confirmed.
The number of qualified nursing staff recruited by the NHS in England has reached record levels, with numbers increasing by more than 3,000 in a single month.
NHS trade unions have suspended a 12 hour strike on Thursday, after the government appeared to give in to union demands offering a 1% pay rise to NHS staff.
A Labour government would draw up a new agreement with the NHS workforce including a commitment not to renege on staff pay recommendations, the party has promised.
- Former nursing director referred to CQC under new ‘fit and proper’ regulations
- New healthcare care model proposals ‘must involve patients’
- New national advisory board to look at NHS workforce issues
- Exclusive: NHS nurse staffing crisis fuels global recruitment
- Exclusive: Further rise in nurse training course places approved
- Exclusive: Lord Willis reveals thoughts on nurse education reform
- Warning from chancellor of further public sector pay restraint
- Fitness to practise cases should consider 'public confidence'
- Eight midwives face NMC action over Morecambe Bay deaths
- Draft candour guidance falls short on anti-bullying rules, claim campaigners