Shaun Lintern is a news reporter on Health Service Journal who contribures regularly to Nursing Times. He writes mainly about workforce issues and also covers mental health.
- Tel: 0203 033 2788
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The quality and extent of variation between maternity services across England will be examined by the former chair of the Morecambe Bay Inquiry.
Plans to publish safe nurse staffing guidance for accident and emergency departments have been abandoned in a U-turn by the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence.
The ability of NHS acute trusts to employ sufficient numbers of nurses on hospital wards has worsened this year compared with 2014, despite record levels of recruitment.
A West Midlands acute trust is to increase salaries for its lowest paid staff to ensure they earn the living wage.
A perceived crisis in the availability of mental health beds is actually caused by delayed patient discharges, according to an inquiry chaired by Lord Crisp.
NHS employers may have to increase the numbers of nurses in accident and emergency departments, after regulators and the Department of Health suggested trusts needed to consider new safe staffing evidence from the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence.
The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence will publish recommended nurse staffing levels for accident and emergency departments, despite being asked by NHS England to drop the work.
A senior figure at the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence has suggested NHS leaders scrapped its safe staffing guidance programme because they “didn’t like the answer” they were getting on current workforce levels.
The government is considering changing the duty of candour law just three months after it came into effect, following a threat of judicial review by a patient charity.
Workforce experts have suggested that NHS England’s new safe staffing framework for mental health inpatient care “lacks rigour.”
- Workforce plan to train 23,000 new nurses in England by 2019
- NHS warned focus on finance risks 'disastrous consequence'
- Leaked NHS England study links nursing numbers and care quality
- NICE's work on safe staffing guidance cost £1m
- Mid Staffs campaigners to protest over staffing guidance
- Francis criticises cessation of NICE work on safe staffing guidance
- Shock as NICE halts work on nurse staffing levels guidance
- CCG seeks to decommission dementia nursing service
- NHS chief confirms 'collective' action on agency staff spending
- Government explores cap on spiralling agency spend