• What will it take for people to realise that making money out of other people's misery is utterly unacceptable?

misscaine's comment 28 October, 2014 6:49 pm

BasketCase, I am not surprised. Anyone who can profit from peoples health issues in such a derogatory way can easily resort to personal attacks to those who oppose them.

Good on your friend, and the employee will look foolish at the very least.

• 'Help nurses make sure they have enough staff '

misscaine's comment 22 October, 2014 10:03 pm

Just another tool to act as a magic wand/sticky plaster for the gaping wound, that is under-staffing. Dont need another patronising piece of official legislation to override what nurses already know.

As for good English speakers on the wards...I couldn't understand a single word of a handover from the nurse giving it. This issue also causes stress for patients who are trying to relay what is wrong with them.

One instance, a man became frustrated with the two foreign nurses, and in exasperation shouted at them. He was then targeted by the other male patients for shouting at the nurses and we had to move him into a single room because of the bullying. Yes it was nice to see patients stand up for nurses, but it got snidey and we had to step in. This patient was upset at the other patients attitude towards him, and of the lack of basic communication from the nurses.

All due to very poor levels of spoken English.

• Nursing staff to receive extra training to help stamp out FGM

misscaine's comment 22 October, 2014 9:44 pm

Non medical FGM and MGM are traditions that not only do not belong in modern Britain, but they do not belong in a peaceful, respectful, evolved world.

• Fraud costs NHS £7bn - enough to pay for 250,000 nurses

misscaine's comment 22 October, 2014 9:24 pm

I should add that in my opinion this is no doubt what is happening already.

Hope this goes unnoticed before them pesky Troll Laws come through. Could find myself in the slammer for airing my views ;) I wouldn't want to let my team down, only just got the DBS through after 10 weeks....

• Fraud costs NHS £7bn - enough to pay for 250,000 nurses

misscaine's comment 22 October, 2014 9:19 pm

Me thinks the biggest fraud will be when they privatise the NHS.

Lots of money can be claimed and signed away at the push of a pen by business men who know how to shimmee that hula skirt of empty cheques and 'enterprise initiatives' in the name of our health of course.

And it will be done so slick it will make the great train robbery look like a bungled case of shoplifting.

• Hunt appeals to nurses to save NHS money by reducing errors

misscaine's comment 22 October, 2014 8:58 pm

Seems Mr Hunt has been getting grilled from his true paymasters, the shareholders.

"Squeeze more out of them, you Hunt!!"

Of course, making scapegoats out of Knackered Nurses and most of the NHS work force, isn't just about the impending election campaign or to make Mr Hunt look like he is on the balcony of Moral Towers, this is about selling off the NHS to the currently circling vultures, just waiting for it to take its last breath...

Research who is interested in the NHS *cough "Richard Branson" cough* (who never made a bad business decision in his life. Why, if the NHS such a failure and a burden, what with all those increasing ill people, why would he touch it?

Just maybe the NHS isn't that big old white elephant they are making out. I do have a theory but because it would basically imply criminal activities, I won't divulge my opinion ;)

Just one problem with all this though- the British public love their NHS. We loved it and were proud it and would fight for it. Take that and its Straw. Camel. Back. for many people.

But when you look at the continuous, slandering of front-line nurses and nursing assistants, which when you can read between the lines of such reports, they have something in common: Under-staffing.

Now the public don't care if the NHS dies a death, public feeling is that it might be best going private....Job done *throws carcass to the wolves*

We know how that will go.

We know that the standard of nursing 'dropping' has not been about all degree nurses, it has been about staffing. How were those student nurses supposed to learn such a deep, and complex profession as nursing, when running around like blue arsed flies and doing as many HCA bank shifts to bumble along financially? They should be home reflecting and researching and transforming themselves. Not doing bank nights or being forced to help the ward at the expense of their learning.

Just how we they, or they already registered nurses and the support staff, supposed to not make mistakes when given so many tasks and requirements ontop of a continuous urgent patient requests and clinical procedures to carry out. On general, I could have the limbs of an octopus, Roger Moore's jet pack, Marty McFly's time machine and still not be where I need to be or doing what needs to be done.

Just a nostalgic throwback to 1999 here...remember when we could get everything done, and gasp, sit on the beds and talk to our patients. :) So much valuable information came from those 'chats' about their well being, past health history and other clues. They felt cared for and valued and enjoyed their stay. It was healing for them.

Now we rarely have time to look them in the eyes. How is that nursing?

And who in their right mind splits up wards the way they do? If you're all in the same immediate vicinity, even when behind curtains seeing to another patient, you can hear anyone in distress and be close by for them, and they are reassured youre there also. How many of us are allocated a side room patient as ours, when they are at the other far end of the ward?

Anyway, the whole debacle of party wars and promises for the next long year would be funny if they all weren't such liars and shirkers.

The biggest mistake in the NHS is putting shareholders needs before patients.

• NICE: 'Obese should be prescribed slimming clubs'

misscaine's comment 11 August, 2014 2:31 pm

Again ignorance and prejudice run away with the Obesity baton....

• Overweight nursing and medical staff should slim, says NHS chief

misscaine's comment 11 August, 2014 1:57 pm

I would also like to add that obesity is not just about calories in-calories out.

I am happy to support those who are overweight and want to lose excess weight, and I will support this idea when....

...the NHS admits that stress is a major factor in the way the body reacts, often leading to weight gain in many stressed people, which nursing teams are, and addresses this by recruiting more nursing staff.

...When the NHS reviews the Thyroid TSH testing panels, which I am held hostage to. Apparently I am 'normal' (which is far from optimal for me), yet if I moved elsewhere in the world, I would be treated for hypothyroidism. I look at many overweight people and recognise that they are actually sick, not lazy or greedy. The signs of hypothyroidism are there, and this really angers me that people are being left like this, yet blamed and scorned for not 'eating less and moving more'. Disgusting. Many have wrote to the NHS begging for T3 and/or alternative treatment seeing as T4 and the amounts given are useless for many of those who are 'lucky' enough to be treated by the NHS. We just want to be heard, and to feel well again. We get ignored. This is abuse flat out. Thankfully we have some pioneering Drs out there who are helping those the NHS have left to rot, and my life has some hope again as I embark on treatment outside of my own country. I have some success at losing a few pounds which would never come off even if I was on a calories deficit eating low fat.

...when the NHS stop promoting a diet to diabetics that keeps them dependent on medication, and makes it difficult for them to lose weight, or help their condition. The only winners are those who sell diabetic equipment and medication.

...when the NHS admits that birth control is seriously messing with a lot of womens hormones, not only making them feel depressed and unlike their true selves, but the management of their weight is a futile affair, and that birth control can induce ridiculous cravings for refined carbs, of which such foods have addictive additives thrown in. Of course this is then implied that its the womans fault for being 'weak'. I quit BC years ago. Never looked back.

...when the NHS reviews the paltry RDA% of all vitamins and minerals. Sometimes I wonder why these minimums even bother to suggest these amounts. With factory farming depleting soils of nutrients, with toxic chemicals in basically every modern furnishing, appliance and yes, lots of foods, we are poisoning ourselves and wonder why most of the populace is a sickly, bloated, cancerous, mess. We need greater amounts of nutrients these days sadly, not the bare minimum. Only then can our body function and begin to heal, instead of bumbling along, trying to work on too little.

Why isnt the NHS standing up against all of this? Is the NHS more for the shareholders and drug companies or is it truly about improving the health of the people?

One thing I know from personal experiences with myself and others, is that allopathic medicine and the approach towards disease is not working for many. Why not?

I read on so many forums about real people struggling to lose weight or inches when following the low fat, low sugar diet. They religiously are doing aerobic activity, following their drs and dieticians recomendations. They have been educated in nutrition alright, but no-one is actually looking at the credibility of the information that is shared.

Of course there are those who will eat and do what they want even when presented with correct information, and given access and choice to correct treatment, and its frustrating and maddening but ultimately that is their life and choice.

But lets not tar all overweight people with that brush, there certainly IS something more going on here, and until we start looking at this with a different mindset and fresh eyes, this problem is only going to get worse. The saddest thing is the quality of life for people overweight and yet really trying to be healthy, is not there in its fullest sense.

The 'experts' may have to admit that they were wrong about what they thought constituted a healthy lifestyle. I can admit that what I was taught, and what I followed was not beneficial in terms of weight management. I am re-learning 30 years of what I was taught, to applying today, what works for me now. And its not what the NHS recommends unfortunately. But I am happier within myself, and I am doing sports (mountain biking and body boarding)that get me out in nature to de-stress and to give my body a good work out. I am taking new supplements under the guidance of a Dr who believes in holistic care. I am feeling much, much better. The only remaining niggle is this excess weight I so want to see gone.

Do you think I like being an overweight healthcare worker? ;)

I am all for support, but support that is up to date with the true reality of the underlying reasons for weight issues these days.

• 'Half of the UK population could be obese by 2050'

misscaine's comment 30 April, 2014 12:38 pm

Hmm seems few sentences were missed from my above post

It meant to say that I ditched convential wisdom regarding calories in - calories out, healthy whole grains, sugar free etc as none of it made a jot of difference, to my weight or my feeling better.

I now eat lower carb (getting carbs from vegtables and fruit not processed foods) moderate protein and high fat...mostly saturated fat *shock horror!!* ;)

I keep my food choices to minimally processed and whole.

Its working....and I feel much, much better. But my old Dr is pissed off at me.

• 'Half of the UK population could be obese by 2050'

misscaine's comment 30 April, 2014 12:30 pm

For all my life I have struggled with weight and tiredness, even as a little girl. Everytime I could relay the dibilitating symptoms of hypothyroidism I would trot off to the doctors and get the TSH test. Always 'borderline' so nothing got done.

Then the TSH ranges were reviewed. It was realised that they were testing for normal on an unhealthy populace so the ranges went from 5.0 being the level to begin treatment, reduced to 3.0, before treatment would be given. And what revised range do you think the UK set their new level at?? It was set at 10!! Gee thanks Great Britain!

Absolutely disgraceful, and I had no choice but to seek out other methods to my health recovery, as being so tired I couldnt move yet couldnt sleep, my health nosedived, adrenals hit, and putting on 3 stone of blubbery weight in less than 3 months, eyebrows and hair falling out, skin like a shrivelled lizard, temp of 35.1 and Im normal??? But was offered prozac *sigh*

So, now Im under a Dr who treats my symptoms and only uses the test results as a guide. I get a private prescription for T3 (as I wasnt converting T4 to T3), I have thrown away convential wisdom regarding "calories in
    I now have the energy to do mountain biking, though Im not out the woods yet with my health, it will be slow but I feel better and the weight is coming off. My brain is not as foggy as it was.

I have lost my best years to this horrible disease, yet people just assumed I was fat through my own fault. It was very isolating knowing there was something terribly wrong with me, yet having a Dr sing "everythings fiiiiine!!"

Sorry for going on, but there are millions of people being untreated, or undermedicated, or even wrongly medicated, who are left suffering and miserable.

There are also environmentals to consider...chemicals all around us, in the air, in all that we do and ingest, so are we surprised that the body reacts when living in a chemical soup?

We need overhaul what we thought we knew, go through what we were taught, and not be afraid to question conventional wisdom. If we dont, we shall continue on the slippery slope into obesity, unesscessarily so.

Show1020results per page