• Major review backs benefit of statins over risk

Hugh Tomlinson's comment 14 October, 2016 9:11 pm

Sorry for the double post. My first effort went a little crazy.

• Major review backs benefit of statins over risk

Hugh Tomlinson's comment 14 October, 2016 9:10 pm

Whilst I welcome this research, I worry that it will re-enforce the likelyhood to minimise side effect. I had major side effects from Avorostati no my GP tried another but the side effects continued and I ended up with dangerously high CK level (in the thousands) so I made the choice to stop and will not take the risk of further "low side effect" equivalents. This hasn't stopped my GP pressuring me and minimising my concerns. From some of the comments in this article it seems the "thou must medicate" lobby may take this as an opportunity to ride roughshod over those less educated than me and pressure them to take the medication even after adverse effects.

• Major review backs benefit of statins over risk

Hugh Tomlinson's comment 14 October, 2016 9:07 pm

Whilst I welWhilst I welcome this research, I worry that it will re-enforce the likelyhood to minimise side effect. I had major side effects from Avorostati no my GP tried another but the side effects continued and I ended up with dangerously Hugh CK level (in the thousands) so I made the choice to stop and will not take the risk of further "low side effect" equivalents. This hasn't stopped my GP pressuring me and minimising my concerns. From some some of the comments in this article it seems the "thou must medicate" lobby may take this as an opportunity to ride roughshod over those less educated than me and pressure them to take the medication even after adverse effects.

At 60, with a family history of heart disease, I don't say this lightly but in my case the risk of statins definitely outweighs any benefit. come this research, I worry that it will re-enforce the likelyhood to minimise side effect. I had major side effects from Avorostatin

• NHS nurses face crackdown on accepting gifts

Hugh Tomlinson's comment 28 September, 2016 9:17 am

Here in New Zealand, our District Health Board brought in an edict that all gifts, no matter how small must be declared. Since it is a cultural thing to offer small gifts, generally of food, as a token to thanks, they were inundated with declarations of pieces of fish, chocolate, fruit and the like. They soon changed the policy to gifts over $100 (currently about £50).

• Virgin set to run community nursing in Somerset

Hugh Tomlinson's comment 19 August, 2016 8:33 pm

Because we all know how successfully they ran the railway!

• Visa change proposals risk ‘closing off’ overseas recruitment

Hugh Tomlinson's comment 22 January, 2016 0:57 am

I agree that a starting salary of 30k is the way to go. Of course, all other NHS salaries would need to be increased proportionately. That might tempt me back to work in the UK - if we also got rid of the damned target culture of course.

• Monitor claims it is not telling trusts to stop hiring nurses

Hugh Tomlinson's comment 5 August, 2015 6:55 am

Perhaps the people at Monitor would benefit from a "Good Communication" course because everyone but them seems to have misunderstood their message.

• Lower back pain can be treated with 'talking therapy'

Hugh Tomlinson's comment 22 June, 2015 7:05 am

Anonymous, 18-june is making the big mistake of devaluing the skill and commitment of trained therapists and effective psychotherapy.

I saw my wife transformed by the latter when she was debilitated by severe, chronic pain.

Lets move away from calling the varying forms of psychotherapy "talking therapy" because that doesn't do them justice and leads to the above misconceptions.

• Lower back pain can be treated with 'talking therapy'

Hugh Tomlinson's comment 21 June, 2015 7:44 pm

• Northumbria hospital nurses work for free to tackle A&E pressures

Hugh Tomlinson's comment 17 January, 2015 4:07 am

In answer to the Sick Pay comment:

I currently work in New Zealand where you start off with 5 days sick per year. You can accumulate it but but most people see it as an entitlement and take it.

The biggest influencing factor on sick leave is working conditions. When staffing levels are cut to the bone, when caseloads go through the roof & the government of the day still insist on more "efficiency" measures then sick leave & staff turnover become problems.

As for Northumbria, hats off to the heroic staff but watch out for the crash when they all burn out.

Show1020results per page