• Updated: RCN council must stand down after losing confidence vote

Aidan Hindley's comment 3 October, 2018 10:27 am

As ANONYMOUS 29 Sept 1034 mentioned I also read the deal and worked out that it wasn't a good offer or even close with the way it was to implemented let alone the so called compensation bonuses and quickly worked it out. It begs the question did the so called negotiators working on our behalf with our best interests in mind actually read the proposals or even more worryingly did they negotiate this and think it was good deal. To quote the person who said it Yes I was one of those morons who voted against the deal because even with my apparently limited intelligence I worked out it wasn't a good deal. The old adage springs to mind if something looks too good to be true it generally is.

• Radcliffe: ‘Rebranding won’t encourage more men into nursing’

Aidan Hindley's comment 26 September, 2018 9:43 am

I havent always agreed with Mark comments over the years but they are always inciteful. In this case I whole heartedly agree with his comments and viewpoint. Rebranding is not the issue nor is changing job/role titles but as he says making the job more attractive with pay, conditions etc all the things that would go towards increasing all nurse recruitment would be a positive step. I have been qualified for over 35 years and realsied very early on that men and woman bring our own unique perceptions, talents and skills to patient care and compliment each others within the Nursing team. I have had the pleasure of working with some very good Nurses of all grades and qualifications both men and women as well as some from the other end of the scale but my inspirations and heroes have with the exception of 3 men have all been women. I also agree that we need to show young males that Nursing is no slight on their masculinity and that we can care as well as the next Nurse male of female. I hope we have moved on from the piecer of advice I was given by my first Tutor when I started my training " You will need to be better than everybody else to be taken seriously by the majority of Nurses you will come across in your career". I would like to think this is no longer the case and that we can be as good as all of our colleagues and treated the same but I have always felt that the advice I was given certainly in my early career was valid. I have found my self always pushing that bit harder, volunteering for the worse duties ( very similar to what we all have to do now everyday) just to be taken seriously, I would like to think it has paid off and I have been the best Nurse I could be and supported my colleagues to the best of my abilities. This will probably upset people but this is only my opinions based on my work experiences for right or wrong.

• Student nurses in Devon pioneer taking over running of ward

Aidan Hindley's comment 29 August, 2018 9:37 am

This was the way I was taught as a student. You got more responsibility in 2nd year including teaching 1st years and running the ward in your 3rd year was counted as part of your work placed assessment and must be passed before taking your finals. Nothing much new as far as I can see but please correct me if I am wrong it will be my age to blame.

• Janet Davies to step down from RCN in wake of pay anger

Aidan Hindley's comment 22 August, 2018 9:35 am

Are the Negotiators standing down? just a thought did she read the proposals herself and if so then she is guilty of deceiving the membership or was she told the contents by the negotiating team which would make them guilty of deception or at the least misleading the membership. I think all persons involved who didn't make this supposed fantastic deals implications clear to us should step down as they certainly are not looking after my best interests. For the record I voted against the deal as it sounded too good to be true and generally if something sounds too good to be true it usually is.

• Radcliffe: ‘We should be ashamed of how our fledgling nurses are treated’

Aidan Hindley's comment 14 August, 2018 2:21 pm

I agree with Catherine as I qualified a bit earlier and didn't realise I had made such a bad job of my career. If I had to try and get into Nursing now I wouldn't be able to, academic achievement has never been my strong suit, and while maths is still not my strong point either I have been able to calculate the drug and fluid doses I needed to over the years safely but I very much doubt I could pass the maths bit either. Looks like by 2020 it will be the robots looking after me in my dotage

• Nursing needs gender-neutral rebranding, say researchers

Aidan Hindley's comment 14 August, 2018 8:28 am

I have been a Nurse for over 36 years and have always disliked the term Male Nurse, I am a Nurse the same way the colleagues I have had the privilege of working with over the years are also Nurses not Female Nurses. All genders bring something different to the role in addition to the common ones, we are in the job because we care and want to help others. I agree with one comment that making the financial side more attractive to help compete with other roles that require a degree would go a long way but I am not sure making Nursing gender neutral would necessarily be a game changer but I keep an open mind. The way men in Nursing are regarded now is vastly different to the way we were seen and treated when I first started which has been a very big leap forward. I remember being told in my training on one of my placements that "Men shouldn't be Nurses" by the Senior Sister and I was banished to the sluice room for the next 8 weeks. lucky for me there was a few members of the staff that didn't share that opinion. Ward nights out were always fun though as the only male in a large group of women I was regularly the envy of the local male population much to the amusement of my colleagues.

• 'Nursing should be viewed as an inclusive workforce'

Aidan Hindley's comment 6 July, 2018 4:10 pm

As a Male Nurse of over 30 years qualified I have experienced in the beginning a lot of prejudices including being told that I must be gay as only gay men become Nurses and memorably on my paediatric placement while training that "Men shouldn't be Nurses and I was wasting every bodies time" I was then banished to the sluice where except for a rather memorable night shift when i was left to feed and change a number of babies I spent my entire placement washing bed pans and similar. I have over the years found this type of attitude has lessened and the public has become far more accepting of us in the profession which is good. The strange thing I found in certainly in my early career that Ladies seemed to have less of a problem being looked after buy a man than a lot of the male patients the exception being pre op pubic shaves I recall. Before the days of on call security staff it mainly fell to the Male Nurses and Dr s to deal with violent patients and visitors, I am still old fashioned enough to prefer somebody to attack me instead of a female colleague and please don't think I am sexist as I have spent far too many years in Nursing working with exceptional colleagues female and male but mainly female and have always thought of it as being an honour to be told I am an honorary one of the girls. Men have a lot to bring to all areas of Nursing and like women we each have something particular to our gender but I agree with the article we still have a way to go in some areas to be fully accepted but I have seen in my career big changes in this which are continuing. Some of the most influential and inspiring colleagues I have met and had the pleasure of working with have been my female colleagues and that camaraderie we have enjoyed both in work and socialising, I have and still am proud to be classed as "one of the girls" respected by them for my work as a Nurse and a member of the team. The Ward Sister who started me on this career said go for it you will love and to her credit she was right.

• Nursing apprenticeships ‘must not repeat mistakes of past’, says RCN

Aidan Hindley's comment 7 June, 2018 10:20 am

As someone who trained "the old way" in 1982 when I qualified I felt quite confident working as a newly qualified nurse as I had experience of working on wards starting at the basics and working up to ward management skills. I felt supported and learned more than could be taught in books from my peers and from my patients who I cared for. I will never forget the satisfaction of taking out sutures for the first time and being thanked by the patient for not causing them any pain, just one of may small milestones. We learnt a lot by taking increasing responsibilities as we progressed through our training and yes taking charge on nights was scary but the satisfaction of getting through the night and solving the problems as they came up was well worth it. We relied on other Nurses form neighbouring wards as well as the Night Sister for support which we got. We reflected on our practice nearly daily among ourselves and when we were in school for a week we always had lively debates on what had happened on placements. It was not all rosy and even with the best rose tinted specs there was things that could have been much better and some staff more supportive, it was not easy being a male nurse back then especially with some senior staffs attitudes, but I have always felt I was well prepared for my future and while my role has changed and developed well beyond I ever imagined it would the lessons I learned then still influence my practice today. This is just my personal views on my own experiences and my apology if I offend anyone which was not my intention.

• ‘I hope you find a way to be compassionate to yourselves’

Aidan Hindley's comment 13 December, 2017 11:09 am

Well said and insightful as ever. Don't worry I will not ask for new support tights but a nice single malt will spoil me admirably.

• 'Basic' nursing care requires more than basic skills

Aidan Hindley's comment 9 March, 2017 11:14 am

Well said SML60. I have been saying this for years. The knowledge you can gain by being with patients, talking to them and observing them while giving basic Nursing care as well as things like bed making can tell you much more than the same patient will admit to i many cases, sadly skills which seem to be undervalued and forgotten. I heard a newly qualified Staff Nurse reply to a colleague who asked her to help make a bed that she didn't go to University to make beds and feed people. Not all Nursing is about the "high power technology" which seems to be consistently forgotten it seems to me now a days. I give Student Nurses and others new to Health Care the same piece of advice I was given on my first ward over 35 years ago; "treat everybody how you expect you and your family to be treated and you wont go far wrong". Dinosaur I maybe but I think it is still as pertinent today as it was then. I count myself lucky I trained when I did as I learnt so much by being a member of the team, expected to pull my weight and to learn from everybody from the Ward Domestic up both professional and life skills.

Show1020results per page