• Nurses face new legal duty to spot 'warning signs' of knife violence

Aidan Hindley's comment 5 April, 2019 9:45 am

I signed up and trained to be a Nurse not a Police Officer. When we are given the staff and funding to enable us to do the jobs we trained for then I might consider a proposal like this, not very seriously I admit, but untill then NO. Maybe the Politican suggesting this and his colleagues would like to try working in an A&E department for a month on shifts and see how he likes it. I and many more like me have been assaulted at work in unprovoked attacks during my carear mainly while working in A&E so yes we would love knife crime etc to be stopped but we are in no real position currently to even consider it as part of our roles.Another misguided misinformed person who has no or a strange view of what we as Health Workers do and cope with on a daily basis.

• New badges mooted by CNO to reward nursing excellence

Aidan Hindley's comment 26 March, 2019 12:29 pm

What no GOLD star and certificate to put on the fridge door. This would be insulting if it wasn't so laughable. If this is the best they can come up with maybe we need new people at the top with fresh ideas. We all work above and beyond our role, pay grade and job descriptions and always have in my experience. In 37 years of Nursing this has got to be the one that takes the biscuit as we used to say.

• Exclusive: Warning Brexit may lead to rise in nurse registration fees

Aidan Hindley's comment 4 March, 2019 10:51 am

More scaremongoring and unsubstantiated claims

• College chief warns of ‘nurses on Zimmer frames’ after Brexit

Aidan Hindley's comment 14 February, 2019 12:40 pm

I agree with what has already been said. I trained in 1982 and like many developed a chronic back condition, arthritis in the joints including knees and hips and sciatica which conmes and goes. Pounding the concrete ward floors has caused the knee damage. I am still able to carry out my duties but at the end of a shift I tend to feel 90 instead of my 55 yrs. We have the same arguments as the Fire Service in that with the best will in the world as we get older in our demanding proffesions we are physicaly less able to cope with the stresses and strains. Raising the retirement age is not the answer looking at why we are not attracting people to nurse training and what is causing Nurses to leave the profession early should be what the powers that be should be looking at. Most of us at the coal face are already aware of what should be done or at least adressed it is a pity that the easy option always seems to be the chosen option not the correct option. The pay and bursary fiascos I would have hoped might have stimulated the correct discussions but apparently not it would seem.

• Nurse confirmed in senior role at UK organ donor body

Aidan Hindley's comment 7 February, 2019 4:53 pm

After working with Anthony in various roles for many years they could not have appointed a better or more commited person to the role.

• Q&A: Everything you need to know about nursing associates

Aidan Hindley's comment 28 January, 2019 10:38 am

As someone who started there career as an EN and then converted to RN in the first wave as we were called I feel as though I am now reading a very similar job description as the one I had as a qualified EN. Nothing new under the sun as they say

• Updated: RCN council must stand down after losing confidence vote

Aidan Hindley's comment 3 October, 2018 10:27 am

As ANONYMOUS 29 Sept 1034 mentioned I also read the deal and worked out that it wasn't a good offer or even close with the way it was to implemented let alone the so called compensation bonuses and quickly worked it out. It begs the question did the so called negotiators working on our behalf with our best interests in mind actually read the proposals or even more worryingly did they negotiate this and think it was good deal. To quote the person who said it Yes I was one of those morons who voted against the deal because even with my apparently limited intelligence I worked out it wasn't a good deal. The old adage springs to mind if something looks too good to be true it generally is.

• Radcliffe: ‘Rebranding won’t encourage more men into nursing’

Aidan Hindley's comment 26 September, 2018 9:43 am

I havent always agreed with Mark comments over the years but they are always inciteful. In this case I whole heartedly agree with his comments and viewpoint. Rebranding is not the issue nor is changing job/role titles but as he says making the job more attractive with pay, conditions etc all the things that would go towards increasing all nurse recruitment would be a positive step. I have been qualified for over 35 years and realsied very early on that men and woman bring our own unique perceptions, talents and skills to patient care and compliment each others within the Nursing team. I have had the pleasure of working with some very good Nurses of all grades and qualifications both men and women as well as some from the other end of the scale but my inspirations and heroes have with the exception of 3 men have all been women. I also agree that we need to show young males that Nursing is no slight on their masculinity and that we can care as well as the next Nurse male of female. I hope we have moved on from the piecer of advice I was given by my first Tutor when I started my training " You will need to be better than everybody else to be taken seriously by the majority of Nurses you will come across in your career". I would like to think this is no longer the case and that we can be as good as all of our colleagues and treated the same but I have always felt that the advice I was given certainly in my early career was valid. I have found my self always pushing that bit harder, volunteering for the worse duties ( very similar to what we all have to do now everyday) just to be taken seriously, I would like to think it has paid off and I have been the best Nurse I could be and supported my colleagues to the best of my abilities. This will probably upset people but this is only my opinions based on my work experiences for right or wrong.

• Student nurses in Devon pioneer taking over running of ward

Aidan Hindley's comment 29 August, 2018 9:37 am

This was the way I was taught as a student. You got more responsibility in 2nd year including teaching 1st years and running the ward in your 3rd year was counted as part of your work placed assessment and must be passed before taking your finals. Nothing much new as far as I can see but please correct me if I am wrong it will be my age to blame.

• Janet Davies to step down from RCN in wake of pay anger

Aidan Hindley's comment 22 August, 2018 9:35 am

Are the Negotiators standing down? just a thought did she read the proposals herself and if so then she is guilty of deceiving the membership or was she told the contents by the negotiating team which would make them guilty of deception or at the least misleading the membership. I think all persons involved who didn't make this supposed fantastic deals implications clear to us should step down as they certainly are not looking after my best interests. For the record I voted against the deal as it sounded too good to be true and generally if something sounds too good to be true it usually is.

Show1020results per page