• Regulator tells NHS trusts to curb clinical staff growth

Jill Garnett's comment 14 July, 2016 10:41 am

What the .......? Curb the growth? How about curbing the decline?

• Exclusive: Nurses should learn more ‘informally on ward’

Jill Garnett's comment 30 June, 2016 12:25 pm

'Huddles?'

• RCM finds itself at centre of row over abortion laws

Jill Garnett's comment 17 May, 2016 4:18 pm

Does the baby get a choice?

• 'We must evolve our terminology to reflect our approach to care. Let's start with 'service user''

Jill Garnett's comment 8 February, 2016 12:10 pm

Well said, Rebecca. I hate the term. A 'service user', to me, is somebody who has chosen to be in the position he is in and decided which is the service he is going to choose. It works fine if you're deciding who is going to come and repair your roof. And I am not a 'service provider', which sounds more like somebody from the leisure and hospitality industry. I am a nurse, not a hotelier.
    People who need care from nurses and doctors are patients. Why do we have such a problem with that? Are we so scared of patronising or offending our patients that we have to give them a title that makes them seem less in need of our help? That does not 'empower' them (another buzzword I hate)? Patients actually prefer the term patients. They are not all over-sensitive, anxious individuals who feel devalued by having to have help at some point in their lives.
    I could go on but I fear the readers will become bored.........

• Trusts should help payback student nurse loans as ‘incentive’

Jill Garnett's comment 27 November, 2015 9:41 am

So where is this money to come from? Like everybody else, our trust is overspent and this is never going to be realistic. The (dare to say it) old-fashioned method of apprenticeship, moving on to full pay when fully-trained, left nobody in debt at the end of their training. I certainly wouldn't want to start training now, knowing that at the end of three years I would have massive debts or a massive loan to repay and - despite the shortage of nurses - no guarantee of a job that would enable me to pay it.

• Diabetes is infection risk factor for ‘most surgery types’

Jill Garnett's comment 29 October, 2015 9:24 am

To be fair, the full term was used in the first sentence, but as most of us (including myself) skim through introductory paragraphs, I didn't pay attention and had to look back to find the meaning. There should have been a set of brackets with (SSI) after the first mention. Off topic, of course.

• Largest NHS trust to become ‘smoke free’ next month

Jill Garnett's comment 30 September, 2015 12:52 pm

I'm a CPN too and try to arrange my visits to certain people's houses at the end of the day. I work with the over-65s and to be fair, this age group does smoke less than the under-65s and most of them will not smoke during my visits. However the smell still clings to my clothes and hair.

I just see this as an occupational hazard.

• Care home abuse allegations increasing under 'strained' system

Jill Garnett's comment 12 August, 2015 4:08 pm

Maybe not 50 years old. But there is something to be said for employing staff with some life experience. I'm one of those people who think that very young people aren't ideally suited for nursing jobs and they need to see a bit of life first - but I've known some excellent, young, carers who do it because, for example, they looked after their gran or grandad and got enough satisfaction from that to know that they could do it as a paid job. A lot of older people don't like being looked after by young people (and the older you get, the younger everybody else looks). It's true that the closer you are in age to your patient the more likely it is that you will understand each other, but we don't have to share somebody's experience to be able to take an interest in it. We can all learn to do this.

• Former palliative care nurse dies at euthanasia clinic

Jill Garnett's comment 11 August, 2015 11:53 am

"being old and getting older"...that's the bit I don't understand. "Being old and getting incapable" I could get my head round. But not just getting older for its own sake. But we are all different.

• Former palliative care nurse dies at euthanasia clinic

Jill Garnett's comment 10 August, 2015 10:58 am

I don't get this at all. Of all people, she should have believed in liviing the best life possible for as long as possible, and not giving up before she had to. Of course, without knowing her as an individual I can't really have an opinion; but 75 certainly isn't old - why take your own life 'just in case'? We all know much older people than 75 who are fitter and healthier than people many years younger. And even if you're not fit and healthy, you can still enjoy a quality of life - the tipping point is different for everybody, I suppose.

Perhaps we are not getting the whole story here. None of us wants the infirmities associated with growing old. But few of us would choose to end our lives while we were still fit, on the offchance that we might not be fit at some stage in the future. We would wait until there was at least some evidence that we were on the slippery slope. It saddens me, too, that somebody who has worked in palliative care - who has presumably spent many hours with patients and families educating them about how palliative care is an acceptable alternative to planned death - has now demonstrated to those people that she was not willing to accept it for herself.

Show102050results per page