• Supporting the transition from student to newly qualified nurse

Adrian Jones's comment 17 March, 2019 2:22 pm

PDF is not downloading, which is helpful.

Excellent article - Well Done!

• 'When will the value of specialist nurses be recognised by those who control NHS purse strings?'

Adrian Jones's comment 15 February, 2019 12:32 pm

I may be old, but bold enough to still believe in my vocation as a nurse! However the past year in my advanced Perioperative roles as an Orthopaedic Surgical Care Practitioner has become stressful as my failing trust seeks to reduce overtime payments! I will not leave my patients and surgical care team without a dedicated assistant, which would mean operation being cancelled. Hundreds of hours of my life owed.

What's your situation like?

Adrian Jones
    Immediate Past President - Association for Perioperative Practice

• Nursing associates need ‘effective’ leadership to succeed

Adrian Jones's comment 12 January, 2019 3:40 pm

Which spokes of the wheel are falling of this week or just how many are left on the nursing manpower bicycle?

Concerned of Norwich

• Specialist nurses trained to take over surgical service from doctors

Adrian Jones's comment 11 January, 2019 8:02 pm

Congratulations on developing this patient centred service. Nurses lead the way in new medical associate professions, whilst highlighting nursing care as our primary aim!

Adrian Jones RN
    Orthopaedic Surgical Care Practitioner
    Immediate Past President
    Association for Perioperative Practice

• Exclusive: Expert midwife attacks NMC in explosive resignation letter

Adrian Jones's comment 23 June, 2018 11:21 am

Thank you John for your comment.
    I have had a hard week as President of Association for Perioperative Practice. I twittered that I believe that every surgical patient deserves a nurse beside them in the operating theatre? I am a theatre nurse - now a Surgical Care Practitioner since 1982 - now being trolled and called a dinosaur! I'm not, having worked tirelessly to promoted development of surgical care team from many professional groups.
    "Nil Illegitimii Carborundum" (Don't let the bastards grind you down) was my late fathers, battle cry to his son who was in remedial education till he was twelve, having been starved of O2 at birth!
    Leaders take it on the chin, but get up and do their job.

• Senior nurses join social media row sparked by TV doctor

Adrian Jones's comment 10 April, 2018 8:08 pm

I have just spent the day, doing what I have done for the last 23 years as a Surgical Care Practitioner! Supporting consultant surgeons operating on there own, in the absence of junior doctors, on call, on leave, study leave or sickness. Or they have bailed out and left the country! Or I have assisted with FY1 to ST3 surgical education, by assisting as they learn how to become orthopaedic surgeons able to make transition to ST3 to consultants. Give us a break please.

President | Association for Perioperative Practice

• Surgeon’s letter to newspaper sparks row on nursing degrees

Adrian Jones's comment 23 January, 2018 10:33 pm

I did twitter that this is an example of surgeons "arrogance personified !" I have worked alongside surgeons since 1982 in the operating theatre, and did so today as an Orthopaedic Surgical Care Practitioner, as part of a great perioperative surgical team! But tonight, came across this phrase on Medline article. Volume of care to value of care. In a target driven NHS we forget, the value of the care we provide to patients, who put their complete trust in us. As we worked together today, to relieve pain and disability by providing a safe joint replacement!
    I do however believe that nurse leaders need to shout this from the rooftops! Volume of care to value of care.

Adrian Jones RN-SCP
    President - Association for Perioperative Practice

• 'I’ll take competency over compassion'

Adrian Jones's comment 21 July, 2015 1:48 pm

Let us show some compassion to each other and care for the nursing team we practice with, rely upon and support, regardless of gender, race, colour or creed proud in the fact that we are nurses.

In the perioperative practice we have all become practitioners, we are not allowed to use the theatre nurse, theatre sister or theatre charge nurse title anymore for fear of offending our colleagues.

Nurse a title which to my grave I am proud of, as are my dad, my wife and daughter.

The Jones's of Norwich

• Alert issued over injecting skin preparation solution

Adrian Jones's comment 1 June, 2015 9:32 am

I Used Gina's Story during a study day for Perioperative staff in Scotland at RCSEd site on saturday, run by the theatre staff association.

This appears to be a global problem / issue! An Australian member of our organising team, before this event, discussed a C Section mother left paralysed from waste down, when chlohex skin prep was injected into her epidural space.

Our study day included a reflective practice session, inviting delegates to share their reactions to a critical incident occuring in the past two weeks!

A delegate recounted a severe pre-surgery anaphylaxis reaction, not once, but twice in the same patient! Eventually tracked to anaesthetic teams use of chlorhex COATED intra-arterial device.

Frightening revelation for audience - Stay alert!

Adrian Jones : Vice President
    The Association for Perioperative Practice
    www.afpp.org.uk

• Call for mandatory extraction of diathermy smoke in theatres

Adrian Jones's comment 17 February, 2015 11:16 pm

A surgical plume is only one of many noxious materials currently affecting perioperative staff. In a climate of financial restraint it is right to challenge for the provision of personal protective equipment and devices that assist in the removal of air borne contaminants.

Adrian Jones