• Hospital launches cadet apprenticeship to help build nursing workforce

Nanny 1's comment 4 August, 2017 9:08 pm

I was also a cadet nurse from 1964-1966 and loved every minute. I am still working now part time, retiring on my 70th, so am in an excellent position to understand how much has changed. However despite so many new developments in medicine the things that have changed the most are peoples' attitudes. Management has become much more approachable, and I think, appreciative of the nurses work. However the public have become much more demanding and disrespectful towards nurses. The government is responsible for the demanding attitude, by raising expectations way above what is achievable. The media is mostly responsible for the negative and disrespectful attitude, and it is that probably along with the high work load and the long shifts that make me so very glad my time is up.

• Great Ormond St nurses facing ‘disgraceful tide of hostility’

Nanny 1's comment 24 July, 2017 9:31 pm

What is wrong with people! It makes me feel really old.....

• Heightened risk of heart attack from routine NSAID use

Nanny 1's comment 10 May, 2017 2:32 pm

Whilst I am willing to believe NSAIDs can cause heart problems, I am rather dubious of this research. The only way the researchers could check NSAIDs were taken was from prescription charts or scripts. However we all know most people who take them do so without consulting a doctor, therefore one wonders how many of the 'control group' were also taking them.

• CQC brings first ever prosecution of NHS trust over safety

Nanny 1's comment 6 March, 2017 9:01 pm

Whilst I commend the CQC for identifying the failings, I cannot see how fining the NHS Trust is going to help them, us or those who were affected. After all it is our money; mine and yours that runs the NHS, and the more money taken from it, whether from fines or those who sue, the less there is for me and you who are the future (and perhaps) present, patients !!

• Robots could ‘revolutionise’ care of older patients

Nanny 1's comment 31 January, 2017 3:40 pm

I am afraid I must agree with 'Anonymous 30 January 2017 9:14pm, but I suspect the two tier system will comprise those under 70 and those over! If I am wrong why are just the elderly patients to be so 'treated' ?

• Nurses’ attitudes towards obese patients: a review of the literature

Nanny 1's comment 17 January, 2017 3:34 pm

Surely obesity should come under the umbrella of 'Eating Disorders', as the causes are often similar to those who starve or are bulimic. With the risks associated it makes sense to offer all obese counselling as well as dietary advice, after all you would not offer a patient who was dangerously underweight just dietary advice without some behavioural interventions. Once we all accept that people do not eat themselves into morbidly obese states because they want to then we are well on the way to changing our perception of these unfortunate souls. One other thought; over time our world changes and so do we, perhaps now is the time to revise what is considered 'obese'. When so many of the population are considered outside the 'norm', is it not time to reconsider what is 'normal'?

• Student nurses should be taught to use their ‘instincts’

Nanny 1's comment 7 December, 2016 8:53 pm

Intuition is one of those concepts that is difficult to describe, however if I was asked I would say it was' an immediate thought or feeling I had based on my experience'. Of course depending where I was or what I was doing the experience required would vary, but would still be necessary. . A third year student nurse is just on the threshold of gaining the experience necessary to use 'instinct' when making care decisions. If I was the patient I would rather they analyse the situation using knowledge gained during training than rely on intuition without the experience to justify it.

• NHS England consults on sugary drink tax in hospitals

Nanny 1's comment 9 November, 2016 9:11 pm

Presumably the hospitals are also going to close the shops that they house in their buildings (at considerable profit no doubt), that sell sweets, chocolates and cakes. Oh and don't forget the canteen that has fattening desserts on show!!!!!

• Job ad reveals nursing associate 'pay and competencies'

Nanny 1's comment 26 October, 2016 9:41 pm

Perhaps Anne has a point here. When reading the comments on this and other pages, I am concerned that there seems to be no one who is designated - and proud -to concentrate on basic care. Have you ever had a family member in hospital? Have you ever had to help with basic care yourself because everyone, including the HCA's are all running around doing 'important things' like vital signs, taking blood, ECG's etc. My worry is that now it will be even more difficult to make basic care a priority as all HCW will be 'vying' to prove how important and skilled they are.

• New role will 'reduce reliance on nurses', says CNO

Nanny 1's comment 17 October, 2016 3:16 pm

With health care assistants and nursing associates on the wards it is not difficult to imagine there will soon be very few registered nurses available at all. Whilst the general public and government obviously perceive nursing to be mostly being kind and doing a few dressings and injections, we all know differently. What worries me is that by the time the results of this 'experiment' are available it might just be too late to do anything about it.

Show102050results per page