• How nurses can improve care for people with severe mental illness

Linda Smith's comment 10 October, 2018 10:07 pm

I have attempted to report sustained abuse by NHS staff which involved brainwashing but sadly my complaints fell on deaf ears. The detrimental effects of severe mental illness are indeed the same symptoms I reported following on from the abuse done to me and so I wonder why no one has yet listened to my concerns that psychopaths are working in Co. Durham Hospitals. Why does no one regard the patient's allegations and have them investigated by Police?

• Comment: 'Know how better to care for people with learning disabilities'

Linda Smith's comment 5 July, 2018 9:27 pm

It is a shame that this article intended to make nurses aware of the needs of patients with learning difficulties or disabilities was considered necessary in 2018. We all wander the streets and on most occasions I come across more than one person who appears to be "needy". We see on TV that the reading ability of many children is poor, some adults struggle too, and the elderly maybe suffering from dementia and thus unable to comprehend. I feel anxiety ridden, fearful or sometimes terrified when in a hospital. I sometimes need to ask questions - I don't know all the answers. I've sat in a hospital bed for some weeks and my severe dysphasia was not noticed. I've needed a compassionate Nurse to hold my hand at times and I've had a pleasant Consultant blowing my nose for me when I couldn't. Perhaps the time has come to recognise that a human being is just that and we all deserve to be treated equally. We shouldn't judge and then treat a patient because of the way they look, sound, behave or have been labelled because to do so might mean we forget to care compassionately for the INDIVIDUAL who has not yet been effectively communicated with.

• ‘Normalised violence against staff reflects a cultural crisis’

Linda Smith's comment 2 April, 2018 10:45 am

I was a student nurse in the 1980s and do not recall coming across a threatening or abusive patient. The time has come in 2018 for the NHS to accept that it has a duty to care for patients who are distressed without rudely asking them not to "shout". Distressed patients might raise their voice but this does not mean they are threatening staff. Where physical abuse is concerned I believe the time has come for the NHS and Police to accept that NHS staff do sometimes abuse patients and that patients deserve the right not to be further distressed by those who cover up abuse. I would not want a nurse to be abused but nor would I want a Nurse to abuse. Make 2018 the year in which every Nurse makes the point of asking "Did I do something to make the patient turn on me?"

• Competition winner goes the extra mile to put patients at ease

Linda Smith's comment 2 February, 2018 2:22 am

Well done Heidi, I'm highly delighted to learn that you are a general nurse able to care for a patient's physical, psychological and psychiatric needs. Holistic care indeed!

• Comment: ‘Ignorance can be bliss: be mindful with your patients’

Linda Smith's comment 8 January, 2018 9:40 pm

Ignorance is not always bliss and medical practitioners should remember, as indeed should nurses that depriving a patient of information can be considered clinical negligence. If a patient learns something detrimental in an untimely and devestating manner which causes harm to them then they do have good grounds to take the case to Court. It is important that patients are able to make informed choices and to do this they need information. To deprive a patient of information leaves them unaware, unable to discuss and possibly unable to ask for a second opinion. Every patient should know enough to understand all possible treatment plans/outcomes. Your article showed you have compassion but I wonder if you have a list of things you wish to achieve in your lifetime?

• Dealing with abuse on your placement

Linda Smith's comment 2 January, 2018 9:47 pm

Think of yourself as Nurse Tom, Dick or Sally. The patient is not your friend and probably hasn't met you before. What your patient says is borne out of illness, frustration, upset or perhaps just an intelligent brain which recognises failings in the system. Do not take to heart what your patient says because to them you are just a "Uniform with a name". Don't forget what was said to you but remember to debrief yourself and ask "If I had been the patient today would I have been happy with the interactions had with the Nurse?" Care for your patient in the way you would want a Nurse to care for you. I am sure in real life away from work even you will swear sometimes. Remember, if another Nurse had been standing in your place the personal comment made by the patient would probably have been exactly the same. You cannot afford to take comments to heart. Good luck in your chosen career.

• Feeling hopeless this Christmas?

Linda Smith's comment 27 December, 2017 12:40 pm

I heard of an adult who attempted to obtain anti depressants for 3 days in a row in the run up to Christmas Eve but Drs in Urgent Care would not prescribe. It was suggested he turn to his GP but sadly he didn't have one. 111 suggested the Crisis Team but unfortunately this was not an option because of prior abuse by the Crisis Team. What greater need is there in Urgent Care but to give someone hope and the desire to believe life is worth living. It seems that not all NHS staff are aware of the hopelessness a human being can feel!

• 'Time to stop turning the NHS into a sick patient'

Linda Smith's comment 16 July, 2017 9:51 am

It is indeed time to stop the NHS turning into the sick patient but sadly the NHS Executives in some areas are happy to enable the sickness to continue on. The NMC has recently refused to investigate what I allege are cases of Factitious Disorder By Proxy and will not consider further investigating the actual NMC complaints process. How can any Nurse obtain all that is necessary to enable the lessening of symptoms or indeed a complete recovery if no one will acknowledge the possibility of FDBY existing?
    To bring in the comment "How do we care for those who have done wrong" I would say in exactly the same compassionate, non judgmental way we would care for any other human being in a clinical setting. We have all heard the names of nurses who have murdered or harmed patients and some of us will know the name of one who was admitted to a high profile secure psychiatric hospital for assessment and treatment. No person with an illness should be hated and deprived of all that is necessary to help them recover. I am saddened by the attitude of Directors of Nursing and the NMC who choose to opt out of all responsible safe guarding of both Nursing staff and patients. The end result of stoppage of appropriate care may well be harm, death for patient and life time spent in secure hospital or prison setting for staff. No reasonable human being wants a sick NHS but during the complaints process both Trust and NMC have taken the unreasonable decision to do nothing. Vast amounts of money were spent on a high profile Inquiry and Report with the intent to prevent further failings and patient harm but I feel the time of Sir Robert Francis, QC was indeed wasted outside of the Mid-Staffordshire area.

• Call to reduce ‘preventable’ deaths in nursing homes

Linda Smith's comment 31 May, 2017 0:30 am

Surely, when a premature death of any patient occurs there should also be a detailed account in care notes of the patient's health, care given, activities etc. prior to death. On finding a deceased patient thorough documentation should be written which explains all circumstances. My suspicions would be raised if such documents did not exist and I would expect to find details about time of last nurse/patient interaction. To suggest that there is often little in the way of detail, should alert the authorities to the possibility of failing standards of care as well as to the definite failing in patient documention. I have suffered in hospital and then suffered throughout the complaints process. Records were fabricated/falsified but any third party information I gave was entirely disregarded. If records are a legal document then so is any third party medical or nursing document. When a great deal of inadequacies exist in records those who choose to deny failings are just as irresponsible as those who committed the act of failing.

• 'Nurses, doctors and paramedics are often running towards the danger'

Linda Smith's comment 30 May, 2017 6:08 pm

I was a patient in two Trusts within Co. Durham and was abused by staff.
    I complained to Trusts' Executives who condoned all. I contacted the HSE re: unsafe mobilising which put myself and staff in a dangerous situation. I was told to contact Public Concern at Work but it said go to HSE. For the benefit of patients and any students or staff who may feel unable to say "NO" to other staff, senior or not I was concerned to be cared. What did I get out of it - greater disappointment and a dawning realisation that more money is wasted on a multitude of Organisations who do not refer cases to one another for advice. It appears to me that the NHS would be better served by having one Organisation for all complaints, at least this would reduce costs and perhaps ensure that the relevant dept. receives a complaint sooner rather than too late! The worst cases of abuse go uninvestigated simply because patients are too traumatised to speak.!

Show1020results per page