Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Alcoholics may ingest hand gel

  • Comment
PATIENTS dependent on alcohol are putting their lives at risk by deliberately ingesting infection control hand rub, researchers have warned.
Young and confused people are also at risk from accidentally swallowing the toxic rub, which was been a key feature of hospital wards since 2005 and is designed to prevent the spread of bugs like MRSA.

Authors studied records at a London hospital and found that one alcohol dependent patient who ingested 500ml of the gel was nine times over the legal UK driving limit.

Inquiries made to Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust Poisons Unit increased from 23 to 50 in the 16 months following the gels introduction to wards.

Authors recommend dispensers over 500ml should be made secure asjust 360ml of rub containing 80%ethanol could be life threatening.

They said: ‘Poisoning remains relatively uncommon but has increased since the widespread introduction of hand rub. Potentially serious clinical effects can occur with ingestion.’
  • Comment

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.

Related Jobs