O’Connell S (2014) Assessing and managing primary hypertension. Nursing Times;110: 14, 12-14.
Hypertension is a major risk factor for coronary heart disease, stroke and heart failure. This article discusses treatments for interventions and drug therapy, and highlights the importance of accurate blood pressure measurement.
What do you think?
- How would you explain blood pressure to a student nurse?
- Do you measure blood pressure in both arms?
- How does incorrect cuff size affect on BP measurement?
- What dietary advice would you give a patient with hypertension?
- What is the current recommended drug therapy for primary hypertension?
- What are the complications of hypertension?