Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Chesterfield A&E reopens after serious fire

  • 1 Comment

A hospital A&E department has reopened after it was forced to shut due to a serious fire.

But people living in and around Chesterfield, Derbyshire, have been warned the emergency unit at Chesterfield Royal Hospital will only be operating a limited service following the blaze which broke out in a newsagent’s stall.

Patients were evacuated from part of the building in Calow, Chesterfield, to hospitals in Sheffield, Rotherham, Mansfield and Derby, as the flames took hold on Saturday night.

A hospital spokesman said these people will be returned to the Royal as soon as possible, as long as they are clinically safe to travel.

Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service battled to contain the blaze which broke out in the shop at the hospital’s main entrance and spread to the first floor before breaking through the roof.

More than 50 firefighters and 10 appliances were called to the scene as crews used an aerial platform, water jets and thermal imaging cameras to tackle the flames.

The first call came at 9.20pm after an automatic alarm went off and the fire service put the fire out by about 1am.

Firefighters handed the scene over to the hospital at around 10.30am on Sunday but some crews are still on site assisting with risk assessments.

An investigation into the fire has been completed and it concluded an electrical appliance fault was the cause.

The hospital said the fire caused considerable damage to the main entrance, parts of the A&E reception area and the orthopaedic and fracture clinics.

From tomorrow, people attending for orthopaedic and fracture clinic out-patient appointments will be seen on Staveley Ward and the reception for some other services will move to the Scarsdale Wing entrance.

With the A&E department operating only limited services, the hospital has asked local people to consider other available options, for minor injuries in particular.

Head of communications Sarah Turner-Saint said: “In an emergency or life-threatening situation the course of action is always to dial 999.

“But there are other options for minor problems. Walk-in centres, out of hours GP services and pharmacy advice, etc may be an alternative for some and would help us to establish services over the coming 48 hours.”

Hospital chief executive Eric Morton said: “We are facing long-term disruption, particularly in the main entrance, where thousands of patients book in for their appointments each day.

“We will be operating temporary facilities and will ensure patients know where to go when they arrive. Although we will try to ensure services run as smoothly as possible we realise there will be some inconvenience.

“Our main aim however, is to keep services up and running for local people and we ask for everyone’s understanding during this unprecedented incident.”

Mr Morton said there were no plans to cancel appointments or operations.

Earlier, the chief executive paid tribute to staff and the emergency services who “worked incredibly hard to ensure hospital services have been minimally affected”.

He added: “There is extensive damage to some areas but we will work as quickly as we can to repair this.

“We hope to have services back up to full strength within the next couple of days - albeit with some longer term reconstruction.”


  • 1 Comment

Readers' comments (1)

  • I was at work in chesterfield a and e on saturday 25th june when the fire happened. Just a few points. The patients in majors and minors were all evacuated outside in 3 minutes. The dept at the time was full of patients and very busy.The patients that needed to be admitted were moved to wards. None of the patients were moved to other hospitals. Ambulances were told to take patients to other hospitals that had dialled 999 during and after the event. We were back to normal sunday 26th june in the afternoon. All clinics/surgery etc are still going ahead. The main thing is the main entrance is not being used but there are adequate alternate entrances with staff there to advise. The hospital is keeping everyone very much updated. All involved have done a fantastic job. Team work.

    Unsuitable or offensive? Report this comment

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.