VOL: 100, ISSUE: 02, PAGE NO: 29
WHAT IS IT?
- Diagnosis is made during a physical examination to assess symptoms.
- Erythema infectiosum is often asymptomatic in its early stages, but may be accompanied by a mild fever or cold symptoms.
- The condition is contagious in the early stage, but by the time the rash appears the patient is not contagious.
- There is no specific treatment for the condition. Where necessary, treatment focuses on alleviating symptoms, for example with non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs to relieve joint pain and reduce fever.
- In people with sickle-cell disease or similar disorders, the condition may cause severe anaemia, which will resolve after recovery.
- There is no vaccine against parvovirus B19.
Health Protection Agency