VOL: 101, ISSUE: 47, PAGE NO: 27
GENERIC AND PROPRIETARY NAMES
- Co-beneldopa, Madopar, Madopar CR.
- Co-careldopa, Sinemet, Half Sinemet CR, Sinemet CR, Tilolec.
- Replenishes depleted striatal dopamine. It is used in combination with the extracerebral dopa-decarboxylase inhibitors, benserazide or carbidopa, to reduce the peripheral conversion of levodopa to dopamine and limit side-effects.
- Dopaminergic drugs used in the treatment of Parkinsonism.
- Parkinsonism - but not drug-induced extrapyramidal symptoms.
- Closed-angle glaucoma.
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding.
- Pulmonary disease.
- Peptic ulceration.
- Cardiovascular disease.
- Open-angle glaucoma.
- History of melanoma
- Psychiatric illness.
- Nausea and vomiting.
- Loss of appetite.
- Postural hypotension.
- Tachycardia and arrhythmias.
- Discoloration of urine.
- Psychiatric symptoms.
- Increased sweating.
- Change in sense of taste.
- Gastrointestinal bleeding.
- Antidepressant medication such as monoamine-oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) and tricyclics.
- Antipsychotic drugs.
- Bupropion (Zyban).
- Co-beneldopa is available as capsules, dispersible tablets and modified-release preparations.
- Co-careldopa is available as tablets and modified- release preparations.
- Assess therapeutic response.
- Monitoring for side-effects, including mental state assessment and blood pressure measurement.
- Care should be taken to avoid confusion with the antihypertensive medication methyldopa.
- Levodopa can cause false results in urine tests for sugar and ketones.
- Inform patients of the possibility of a sudden onset of excessive daytime sleepiness.
- Patients must not drive or operate machinery until they know how this drug affects them.
- Alcohol can add to the drowsiness caused by this drug.
- Inform patients that it may take several weeks to benefit from the full therapeutic effects.
- Patients should not stop taking levodopa suddenly without taking medical advice.
Nurses should refer to manufacturer’s summary of product characteristics and to appropriate local guidelines