Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Regular paracetamol overuse increases risk of dying

  • Comment

People who regularly take slightly too much paracetamol over a period of time to relieve pain could be at a higher risk of dying than those who take a one-off overdose of the drug, a study revealed today.

The danger arises because the so-called staggered overdoses are more difficult for doctors to assess and therefore treat.

The research, published in the British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, showed that doctors usually take a blood sample to detect how much paracetamol is present when an overdose patient arrives at hospital.

For someone who has taken too much of the drug over a prolonged space of time, low levels of paracetamol could be detected in their blood even though they could still be at risk of organ failure or death.

Dr Kenneth Simpson, who worked with the University of Edinburgh and the Scottish Liver Transplantation Unit, said: “They haven’t taken the sort of single-moment, one-off massive overdoses taken by people who try to commit suicide, but over time the damage builds up, and the effect can be fatal.”

Patients are also less likely to report a staggered overdose to medical staff than a massive single overdose, the research team said.

They looked at data from 663 patients admitted to the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh from 1992 to 2008 with liver injury caused by paracetamol. Of those patients, a total of 161 had suffered a staggered overdose, mostly after taking the drug to relieve common pains including headaches and stomach pains.

Dr Simpson said: “On admission, these staggered overdose patients were more likely to have liver and brain problems, require kidney dialysis or help with breathing, and were at a greater risk of dying than people who had taken single overdoses.”

  • Comment

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.