- Article: Danitsch D (2012) Benefits of digital thoracic drainage systems. Nursing Times; 108: 11, xx-yy.
- Author: Debbie Danitsch is consultant nurse cardiothoracic, University Hospital of North Staffordshire.
New equipment is constantly being developed and health care professionals have to consider whether products will be beneficial for patients and are cost effective.
- There are complications and risks associated with traditional chest drainage systems
- Digital drainage systems offer more accurate monitoring and a more scientific rationale for removal
- Patient mobility is also improved due to the light weight of the drains
- Using digital drainage systems after thoracic surgery is becoming accepted as a safe method for draining air and pleural fluid
- Other patient groups may also benefit from digital drains
- What questions would you ask about a new product before using it with patients?
- How would you conduct a trial of a new product?
- How would you involve patients in trialling new equipment?
- How should you work with manufacturers and suppliers when you are considering new equipment?