VOL: 99, ISSUE: 12, PAGE NO: 31
- The cervix is the lower part of the uterus.
- Human papilloma virus (HPV).
- In 1997, 1,222 women died from cervical cancer in England and Wales, a death rate of 41 per million. The death rate increases with age: around 95 per cent of deaths occur in women aged over 35 years (CancerBACUP, 2002).
- The smear test is a test to detect early changes in cervical cells (dyskaryosis). This is known as cervical screening.
- The programme aims to reduce the number of women who develop invasive cervical cancer (incidence) and the number of women who die from it (mortality).
- HPV testing.