- Article: Benson G et al (2012) An alcohol withdrawal tool for use in hospitals. Nursing Times; 108: 26, 15-17.
- The number of patients admitted to acute hospitals with alcohol-related problems is growing
- Alcohol withdrawal syndrome can have an adverse effect on the health of hospital patients
- It can also affect the wellbeing of staff and other patients
- The most commonly used AWS screening tool was tested in alcohol detox settings, so one was needed for acute hospitals
- Early identification of AWS can cut length of hospital stays and the number of violent incidents
- What are the symptoms of alcohol withdrawal syndrome (AWS)?
- How are patients at risk of AWS assessed and managed in your clinical area?
- Do you feel confident to manage patients with AWS? If not explain why?
- What are the effects of poor management of AWS?
- How would you introduce the alcohol withdrawal screening tool described in this article into clinical practice?