New research has shown that patients who have elective surgery later in the week and at the weekend have a greater risk of dying. Previous studies have found there to be a significantly higher risk of death if patients are admitted as an emergency over the weekend compared with a weekday.
What do you think?
- Are there fewer nurses on duty at weekends?
- Do you have less experienced staff in charge of wards at the weekend?
- Is patient deterioration is more likely to be missed?
- Is there a lack of specialist care after 5pm on Fridays?
- Should specialist care be available seven days a week?