- Article: Managing staff shifts through e-rostering. Nursing Times: 107: online issue.
- Author: Dodd S (2011)
- E-rostering technology records annual leave requests, staff shift preferences, sick leave, staff movement between wards, and staff skills. It can also hold information on medical supplies, and help make payroll systems more accurate
- E-rostering enables senior nurses to plan shifts well in advance and forecast staffing requirements, reducing reliance on agency staff
- It reduces the time senior nurses spend on administration, freeing up time for direct care
- The system makes shift allocation fairer, so is less divisive and more popular with staff
- It can help with incident planning and to ensure there is enough cover during particularly busy periods
- What problems do you have with traditional off duty? Think about incorporating requests, holidays, bank and agency staff.
- How could e-rostering improve management of staff time in your clinical area?
- How can e-rostering promote fairer off duty planning and improve staff morale?
- How would you explain the benefits of e-rostering to your team?
You might also like to read
Follow the debate on twitter #NTjournalclub