Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Handrub ingestion prompts warning

  • Comment
Patients who are dependent on alcohol are ingesting infection-fighting handrub, researchers have warned.

Patients who are dependent on alcohol are ingesting infection-fighting handrub, researchers have warned.

Young and confused people are also at risk from accidentally swallowing the toxic rub, which has been a key feature of hospital wards since 2005.

Study authors found that in one case study an alcohol-dependent patient who ingested 500ml of the gel collapsed and was found to have a potentially fatal blood ethanol concentration.

They recommend that large-quantity dispensers should be made secure.

‘Poisoning remains relatively uncommon but has increased since the widespread introduction of handrub. Potentially serious clinical effects can occur with ingestion,’ they wrote in the British Medical Journal.

  • Comment

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.