Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Are you paying too much tax?

  • Comment

Personal Taxation Services debunks the myth that it’s easy to manage your own tax relief, and shows you just how much you could claim for - and how much you can save

Around 70% of nurses and midwives have missed out on work-related tax relief that could have added up to £177 per year to their pay packets, according to a

recent survey by the Nursing and Midwifery Council. The report also found only half the 354 nurses and midwives questioned knew they could claim this relief.

These figures reflect the findings of professional tax coding service Personal Taxation Services. Over the past 12 years, over 51,000 nurses and midwives have contacted PTS to check if they had been given the correct tax code.

Working closely with the Royal College of Nursing and Royal College of Midwives, Personal Taxation Services discovered that 71% of those checked had been given the wrong tax code and paid too much. Tax refunds have typically averaged £311.

The Perils of DIY

Many people suggest that you can contact HMRC yourself and don’t need a company such as PTS to find out if you have paid too much tax. But the reality is somewhat different. You would need sufficient knowledge of tax to know which allowances you were entitled to claim and for when, whether your employer or HMRC made mistakes in the calculation of your tax over the last four years and how much you are entitled to get back.

Just contacting HMRC can be difficult. Despite improvements, 25% of calls to HMRC still go unanswered and it has closed all its walk-in enquiry offices.

And if you do get through, HMRC can only check if you’ve paid too much tax if you provide new information to enable it to update its records, so you have to know why you have overpaid tax. Recent reports in the press suggest HMRC call centre staff are being told to avoid helping callers any more than necessary and to only answer questions posed. Missing even the smallest error in the last four years could prove expensive.

If you discover you have underpaid when you speak to HMRC, unless you have the right tax knowledge, or can afford to pay an accountant, you will be left with no option but to pay the resulting tax bill, even if it is wrong. Personal Taxation Services research found nearly one in two underpayment demands issued by HMRC contain errors.

Expert assistance

Given the time and risks involved in attempting to check your own tax, it makes good sense to entrust your affairs to a leading expert. Working closely with hundreds of employers, trade unions and professional bodies, Personal Taxation Services has been helping taxpayers get their money back for over 20 years, securing over £108m in tax refunds.

Every month over 10,000 taxpayers sign up with Personal Taxation Services to have their codes checked for errors. The company’s comprehensive and professional review goes back up to four years. Its expertise means it can spot even the smallest error, increasing the likelihood of getting a refund and ensures you get the maximum amount of money back. Its relationship with HMRC means you’ll get your money back faster and all refunds are double-checked before despatch.

If you are owed money, you will always get your refund. Unlike other similar services, there are no minimum fees or cheque handling fees, which can often result in taxpayers losing most, if not all their refund. With Personal Taxation Services, no refund is ever too small.

And if Personal Taxation Services spots you have underpaid tax, it will only tell you. It is not required to tell HMRC unless you specifically ask PTS to. If you do, the company’s specialist Underpayment Service will ensure you only pay the absolute minimum back. With 3.5m taxpayers receiving demands from HMRC for underpaid tax recently, this service is proving to be popular.

  • Comment

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.