Susan is a charge nurse on a dementia assessment ward at Mill View Hospital in Hove. Mill View is a mental health hospital and part of Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust, a mental health trust working across Sussex and Hampshire.
”I chose to train as a nurse after working as a carer in the community. Caring for people is amazingly rewarding and I wanted to pursue this.
“I believe that I make a real and meaningful contribution to the community as a nurse.
“I’ve lived in Brighton my whole life and love it here. It cannot be topped for its vibrant, cosmopolitan, open and accepting atmosphere. I wanted to work for Sussex Partnership, a mental health trust, as it offered me the opportunity to work in the city I love. Sussex Partnership has been hugely supportive and I’ve benefited from professional development opportunities. Since starting my career on Brunswick Ward in 2015, I’ve trained as a sign-off mentor, as a manual handling of people trainer and I have been promoted to charge nurse. I have also had the opportunity to become the Armed Forces champion for my ward.
“The people I work with are more than colleagues; they have become very good friends. Working in a strong and supportive team adds to the quality and compassion we can deliver in our nursing. Being a nurse at Sussex Partnership has enhanced my own sense of self-worth; I really believe I am doing something worthwhile with my life.I wouldn’t change a thing.”
Why Brighton and Hove?
- We’re innovative. We know we can’t stand still if we want to continue to provide outstanding care for our patients. With a developing quality improvement framework and recognition for transformative improvement projects already underway in our service, we welcome people who are passionate about making things better for patients, carers and staff
- We want to support you. Are you a newly qualified nurse? With our robust preceptorship package, reflective practice sessions, peer support and buddy allocation, we can give you a fantastic grounding as you start your career in nursing. This is in addition to regular supervision and confidential development sessions with senior staff
- We value our nurses. In our acute services we offer a competency framework with internal rotation to support band 5 nurses to progress to band 6
- We are passionate about putting our patients at the centre of all we do and we are excited about caring for people in our community. Our care is outstanding and the Care Quality Commission agree. Our patients and carers continually tell us they feel cared for – this is why we chose nursing as a career, to really change people’s lives for the better
- We’re based in a vibrant, bustling and diverse city. With the sea and the South Downs on our doorstep; more places to eat in, drink at, shop in and explore than you could dream of; a full events calendar and excellent transport links, we know Brighton and Hove offer a varied and exciting lifestyle.