Jennie Palmer (43) is a Senior Nurse in the Emergency and Acute Medicine department in Cardiff, South Wales.
Relocating to Wales from the North of England, has enabled Jennie to progress her career: “The opportunities to learn on the job combined with continuous educational support are amazing.
I’ve gained the funding and experience needed to complete a Master’s degree in advanced practice and received support to complete my Emergency Nurse Practitioner qualification.
”There’s lots of choice for educational development and in-house training too. A clear route is offered to advanced practice work and a solid framework surrounding the core areas within the NHS.
”This training, in addition to the benefits of the NHS Wales bursary, makes Wales a wonderful place to work if you’re ambitious and want to push the boundaries of your role.
“The nursing community in Wales really is second to none. I’ve learnt so much from likeminded nurses through the RCN Emergency Care Association and the Emergency Care Forum and it’s fantastic that there’s always someone you can discuss your ideas with.
”It’s very rewarding to know that we are continuing the traditions of the NHS in the country of its birth, and influencing the future of nursing at the same time.
“For me, the most beneficial element to working in Wales is being able to balance my work with my family. Wales has so much to offer, whether it’s relaxation or adventure that you enjoy, it’s impossible to be short of things to do in your own time. No matter what your stage of life, Wales is definitely a career-move worth considering.”
FIVE REASONS WHY BRITISH & INTERNATIONAL NURSES SHOULD CHOOSE WALES:
• STAFFING LEVELS: Wales is the first nation in Europe to introduce a law to protect nursing staff levels so you have more time to care sensitively for patients.
• SUPPORT TO RELOCATE: Wales has a strong sense of community, affordable housing and great schools. If you’re tempted, we have a number of relocation packages which will help your move to Wales go as smoothly as possible.
• FLEXIBLE OPTIONS TO SUIT YOU: Our family-friendly working arrangements, including flexible hours, childcare vouchers and on-site crèche, means more time for you and your family to enjoy all Wales has to offer, from vibrant cities to unspoilt coastline and stunning countryside.
• CAREER PROGRESSION: Supported by the Welsh Post Registration Career Framework for Nurses and Midwifery 20:20, we offer opportunities for you to progress your career to clinical nurse specialist roles, advanced practitioner roles and consultant nurse and midwife roles.
• VALUE FOR THE PROFESSION: We put patients at the centre of care and recognise the value of nurses in achieving this, which is why we are committed to supporting your continued professional development at all stages of your career. We’ve maintained the NHS bursary for those ordinarily resident in the UK who wish to join the profession and will commit to spend the first two years of their career in Wales. We also provide funding to support those looking to return to the profession to undertake their return to practice training in Wales.