Majallel Lorin (26) is a newly qualified Community Nurse in Ebbw Vale, South Wales.
She first came to Wales from the Philippines in November 2016 to establish her nursing career. She hopes that her husband and daughter will soon join her through Wales’ unique relocation package.
Majallel explains: “The financial, emotional and educational support I’ve received, in terms of a relocation package, friendly welcome and guidance to pass the statutory clinical examination for overseas nurses working in the UK, has made it very easy for me to settle into my new surroundings.
”I’m very proud to say that, as a result of this support, I have recently passed the required Objective Structured Clinical Examination.
“Community nursing in Wales is like being part of one large extended family. There is also a very well established Filipino community here and this strong sense of belonging has really helped me to fit in and adjust.
”I work in a nurse-led hospital, and the supportive environment has already allowed me to practice and develop my critical thinking skills to work with patients to help them achieve their goals. These skills will stand me in good stead as I progress my career here.
“Wales is such a welcoming and friendly place it’s a great place to work and live and I would encourage other overseas nurses looking to relocate, to firmly put this wonderful country at the top of their list.”
FIVE REASONS WHY BRITISH & INTERNATIONAL NURSES SHOULD CHOOSE WALES:
• STAFFING LEVELS: Wales is the first nation in Europe to introduce a law to protect nursing staff levels so you have more time to care sensitively for patients.
• SUPPORT TO RELOCATE: Wales has a strong sense of community, affordable housing and great schools. If you’re tempted, we have a number of relocation packages which will help your move to Wales go as smoothly as possible.
• FLEXIBLE OPTIONS TO SUIT YOU: Our family-friendly working arrangements, including flexible hours, childcare vouchers and on-site crèche, means more time for you and your family to enjoy all Wales has to offer, from vibrant cities to unspoilt coastline and stunning countryside.
• CAREER PROGRESSION: Supported by the Welsh Post Registration Career Framework for Nurses and Midwifery 20:20, we offer opportunities for you to progress your career to clinical nurse specialist roles, advanced practitioner roles and consultant nurse and midwife roles.
• VALUE FOR THE PROFESSION: We put patients at the centre of care and recognise the value of nurses in achieving this, which is why we are committed to supporting your continued professional development at all stages of your career. We’ve maintained the NHS bursary for those ordinarily resident in the UK who wish to join the profession and will commit to spend the first two years of their career in Wales. We also provide funding to support those looking to return to the profession to undertake their return to practice training in Wales.