O’Connell S (2014) Assessing and managing primary hypertension. Nursing Times; 110: 14, 12-14.
5 key points
- Hypertension is a primary modifiable risk factor for the development of cardiovascular disease
- Accurate blood pressure measurement is essential
- All patients diagnosed with hypertension should be offered lifestyle advice
- ACE inhibitors are the first drug of choice in most patients aged under 55 years
- Calcium channel blockers are the first drug of choice in patients of African or Caribbean origin
How can you ensure your blood pressure readings are accurate?
Are automatic blood pressure monitors reliable?
Is a high blood pressure reading enough to motivate patients to change their lifestyle and behaviour?