Drayton K (2013) How mobile technology can improve healthcare. Nursing Times; 109: 11, 16-18.
The National Mobile Health Worker Project (MHWP) set out to understand the requirements of mobile working for health professionals and to identify whether it could result in increased productivity and efficiency.
5 Key Points
- The National Mobile Health Worker Project explored the benefits of mobile working for health professionals
- Clinicians could view and share data between the clinical services involved in patient care and avoiding duplication.
- Time spent with patients increased at one site by 104%.
- Data duplication decreased at one site by 92%
- There was a reduction “no access visits” of up to 50%.
- How do you think mobile technology can improve efficiency?
- What benefits do clinicians report when using mobile technology?
- How can this technology improve patient care?
- The author identifies challenges in implementing mobile technology. How would you address these in your organisation?
- How would you explain the benefits of mobile technology to a member of staff who is reluctant to use it?