- Article: Barton TD et al (2012) Advanced nursing 1: the development of advanced nursing roles. Nursing Times; 108: 24, 18-20.
- The evolution of advanced nursing has been long and complex
- This process has led to innovation in nursing, but also to confusion about what advanced nursing was and is
- Advanced nursing has been and still is one of the most scrutinised and researched concepts
- It has been advocated as a cost-effective service redesign tool
- Advanced nurses are the cutting edge of nursing innovation
- Compare and contrast the roles of clinical nurse specialist and nurse practitioner. What are the key components of these roles?
- What are the key elements of advanced nursing practice and which nursing roles in your organisation meet these criteria?
- What preparation do advanced nurses need to undertake their role?
The authors of this series notes that “Moves to regulate advanced nursing via the professional register in the 2000s have faltered, and are now regarded as at best unlikely, and at worst unworkable (Council for Healthcare Regulatory Excellence, 2008). The current professional view is that advanced nurses represent no greater risk to the public than new registrants, and as such a separate part of the register would add no new benefit”.
What do you think? Do advanced nurses need a regulated clinical career framework?