- The director of nursing at Surrey & Sussex Healthcare Trust, Irene Scott, has been appointed chief operating officer at United Bristol Healthcare Trust. Ms Scott, who is an NT editorial board member, will take up her new role in March 2008.
- Nurses will be able to explore the government’s cancer Reform strategy at an NT conference on 11 December. The strategy aims to make UK cancer services among the best in Europe.
- An online tool has been launched to help nursing students record and reflect on their learning. ePortfolio records personal development plans, skills, competencies, notes and outcomes.
- The RCN has awarded £100,000 to Swansea University’s School of Health Science to fund a PhD studentship. The student, Andrea Jones, a nurse at Pembrokeshire and Derwin NHS Trust, will explore the political influence of nursing in Wales 1948–2000.
- An NT conference on roles and ways of working for mental health nurses is being run in February. Transforming Values into Action will look at changes following issues such as the chief nursing officer’s review of mental health nursing and the Mental Health Act.