VOL: 100, ISSUE: 11, PAGE NO: 31WHAT IS IT?
- Malaria is a serious and sometimes fatal disease.
- Malaria is widespread in many tropical and subtropical countries.
- The principles to follow for malaria prevention are:
- Wear long-sleeved clothing and long trousers.
- Different antimalarial prophylactic medication is appropriate according to the place of travel and the parasite's local resistance.
- Treatment depends on the type of plasmodium, prior chemoprophylaxis, known allergies, presence of medical conditions other than malaria, age, pregnancy, and risk of re-exposure to malaria after treatment.
- Careful adherence to preventive measures may not guarantee complete protection.
- The MRL is part of the Health Protection Agency (HPA). It provides:
Advice for travellers