Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Man dies in hospital from anthrax inhalation

  • Comment
A drum-maker who inhaled anthrax spores from imported animal skins has died in hospital.

Fernando Gomez, 35, died in Homerton University Hospital after spending a week in intensive care in a critical condition.

However on Saturday night, his condition began to deteriorate further and Mr Gomez died on Sunday afternoon.

Mr Gomez had been on a ventilator and was being treated with a series of antibiotics, and the hospital had taken advice from experts in the United States who dealt with anthrax mail attacks in October 2001.

The Health Protection Agency has sealed off Mr Gomez’s flat and workshop in Hackney, East London, for examination.

  • Comment

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.

Related Jobs