Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

New NHS 111 service 'puts patients at risk'

  • 4 Comments

The body representing doctors in Britain has called for a delay in the launch of a new non-emergency helpline, saying it is putting patient safety at risk.

The British Medical Association (BMA) has written to Sir David Nicholson, chief executive of the NHS, to highlight its concerns about the 111 advice line service, which is due to go live in England on Monday.

Dr Laurence Buckman, chairman of the BMA’s GP committee, questioned the quality of advice given out and said patients had been forced to wait for hours for advice, the BBC said.

He also said the “chaotic mess” of the 111 service was straining parts of the NHS that were already stretched, potentially putting patients at risk.

Dr Buckman said: “There have been widespread reports of patients being unable to get through to an operator or waiting hours before getting a call back with the health information they have requested.

“In some areas, such as Greater Manchester, NHS 111 effectively crashed because it was unable to cope with the number of calls it was receiving. The quality of advice being given out has also been questionable in some instances.”

He added: “The BMA has been warning the government about the problems with NHS 111 for almost two years. They must finally act to ensure that patient safety is guaranteed.”

Calling for a delay of the launch until it is “fully safe for the public”, he said: “We cannot sacrifice patient safety in order to meet a political deadline for the launch of a service that doesn’t work properly.”

Ministers admitted on Tuesday the introduction of the 111 telephone service had “teething problems”.

Labour spokesman Lord Hunt of Kings Heath warned of reports “up and down the country” of staff shortages and long waiting times to get through to the service.

He urged the government to look at it again, saying that combined with a poor quality out-of-hours service, it was putting pressure on acute hospitals.

Health minister Lord Howe said he was aware of problems in two particular areas, but said pilots of the new service showed a high rate of patient satisfaction.

NHS England - formerly the NHS Commissioning Board - said it was aware of difficulties in introducing the new number in some areas, but that it was “confident that measures now in place will ensure resolution of these early problems”.

A spokeswoman said: “The service has great potential to be a fast, efficient, all-round service that ensures patients get the right care for their needs.

“This is a very important service for the public and we will make sure everything is in place to make a safe, high quality service that patients and the public can trust.

“Many sites are already up and running, but in areas where NHS 111 is not yet available we will make a thorough assessment of readiness before new sites are introduced.”

  • 4 Comments

Readers' comments (4)

  • 'Measures now in place will ensure resolution of these early problems'? How do they know? They are not up to date with anything going on at the coal face and beleive me it is not a pretty sight. This is another example of putting 'bean counters' and accountants in charge of service development at the expense of quality and safety. I feel sorry for the general public, sorry for the overstretched NHS Services, and worry about staff sanity and general morale. What a mess. Why dont they ever listen?

    Unsuitable or offensive? Report this comment

  • Anonymous | 28-Mar-2013 3:52 pm

    maybe everybody should leave all of the work to the bean counters for a while. it might just teach them a lesson.

    Unsuitable or offensive? Report this comment

  • "Doctors warn of 111 hotline 'Easter disaster’
    Patients are being put at risk due to catastrophic failings of the new NHS 111 non-emergency phone line, doctors have warned."

    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/9960594/Doctors-warn-of-111-hotline-Easter-disaster.html

    why are patients' lives being put at risk? they pay their taxes for the NHS. Whatever have they done to deserve such appalling and dangerous health services on which they are totally reliant?

    It is an utter disgrace.

    Presumably they still have the right to use 999 to call an ambulance directly themselves in an emergency or has this 111 replaced this?

    I think the public still have to be given credit for their own intelligence and common sense which seems far more adequate that those who have set up and provide this service.

    Unsuitable or offensive? Report this comment

  • "Secret NHS plan to share personal records
    Confidential medical information could be shared among doctors, researchers and managers under plans to “override” patients’ objections, it can be revealed."


    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/9960728/Secret-NHS-plan-to-share-personal-records.html

    I have totally lost all my trust in the NHS and all associated with it in a working capacity.

    Unsuitable or offensive? Report this comment

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.