- The Association of Respiratory Nurse Specialists’ 10th anniversary conference will be on 16–17 November at Warwick University.
- Education for Health has produced toolkits to help nurses present training cases.
- November is lung cancer awareness month. For details visit www.roycastle.org/patient/lcam.htm
- Patients with community-acquired pneumonia who had a prior pneumococcal vaccination have a 40% lower rate of mortality compared with those not vaccinated.
Archives Internal Medicine (2007) 167: 18, 1938–1943.
- Combining chemotherapy and surgery to treat non-small cell lung cancer can increase the average chance of survival at five years by 6% compared with surgery alone.
Cochrane Database (2007) DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD005231.pub2.
- Patients who are hospitalised have a better chance of quitting smoking if they receive counselling during admission and have one month of supportive contact after going home.
Cochrane Database (2007) DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD001837.pub2.