National children’s charity, WellChild, has opened nominations for its annual awards, which seek to highlight inspiring paediatric clinicians, patients and their carers.
The charity wants people to put forward their nominations in six categories, including nurse of the year, for the 2017 Wellchild Awards, which is being held in association with pharmaceutical company GSK.
Last year’s event saw professionals from across the UK attending the star-studded Awards ceremony at the Dorchester in London attended by the charity’s royal patron Prince Harry.
The 2016 winners included Mary Jeans, who works in South Ayrshire Health and Social Care Partnerships Health Visiting Team, and Zoe’s Place Baby Hospice in Liverpool.
Ms Jeans, who scooped the charity’s 2016 Nurse Award, was described as “a health visitor beyond compare” by the nurse colleague who nominated her.
The team award went to Zoe’s Place, which provides a “wonderful home from home environment” for babies and young children aged up to five with life-limiting or life-threatening conditions.
The closing date for this year’s entries is Monday, 1 May 2017 with the awards handed out at an event in London in the autumn. Entries will be judged by an expert panel including former winners, health professionals and child health researchers.
Categories for nominations are as follows:
- Inspirational Child or Young Person – A child or young person between the ages of four and eighteen who has kept smiling against all odds in coping with or overcoming serious illness, and who deserves to be celebrated for their extraordinary courage
- Most Caring Child or Young Person – A special child between the ages of four and eighteen who devotes much of their time and energy freely and lovingly to care for a friend or sibling who is sick
- Nurse – A nurse working with children and young people who goes the extra mile for the children and young people in their care
- Doctor – A doctor working with children and young people who goes the extra mile for the children and young people in their care
- Outstanding Professional Award - A professional who has worked above and beyond for children and young people in their care
- Health Team – A team of doctors, nurses, or other healthcare professionals, who work together to make a huge difference to the lives of seriously ill children
Visit the Wellchild Award website to nominate someone for an award or by contacting the charity on 01242 530007 to request a nomination form.