Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Healthcare student first named victim of Manchester attack

  • 1 Comment

Georgina Callander, an 18-year-old health and social care student, is the first victim of the Manchester bombing to be named.

The attack by a lone bomber took place yesterday night at the Manchester Arena, during a concert by US singer and actress Ariana Grande.

“Staff have once again responded superbly to a major incident”

Niall Dickson

Ms Callander was named in a statement by Runshaw College, where she was a second-year student on one of its training courses aimed at those working or hoping to work in social care, nursing or residential homes or domiciliary care organisations.

The college said: “It is with enormous sadness that it appears that one of the people who lost their lives in Monday’s Manchester attack was one of our students here at Runshaw College.

“Georgina Callander was a former Bishop Rawstorne pupil studying with us on the second year of her Health and Social Care course,” it said.

“Our deepest sympathies, thoughts and prayers go out to all of Georgina’s friends, family, and all of those affected by this loss,” said the college.

It added: “We are offering all available support possible at this tragic time, including counselling with our dedicated student support team.”

So far, following the attack, at least 22 people have been confirmed dead and 59 injured.

“Our staff worked tirelessly throughout the night”

Derek Cartwright

According to the North West Ambulance Service NHS Trust, 60 ambulances attended the Manchester Arena after the attack and those wounded are being treated at eight hospitals around the city.

Chief executive Derek Cartwright said his service had been “devastated” by the attack and paid tribute to staff and the public for their response.

“We were made aware of the incident at 10.46pm and soon after declared a ‘major incident’,” he said. “Our staff worked tirelessly throughout the night to co-ordinate the large scale response with 60 ambulances attending the horrifying scene in the city.

“Ambulance crews were accompanied by our hazardous area response teams, consultant paramedics, advanced paramedics and doctors who all offered their advanced clinical skills,” he said. “We are extremely proud of the professional way our staff responded and treated those involved.”

Ms Cartwright said that, in total, 59 patients were taken to hospital – nine to Manchester Royal Infirmary, six to Salford, six to Wythenshawe, 12 to Manchester Children’s, six to Stepping Hill, eight to Royal Bolton, seven to Royal Oldham and five to North Manchester. Around 60 “walking wounded” were also treated by ambulance crews, but did not go to hospital.

He stated: “No matter how much we train our staff for incidents such as this, nothing can prepare you for the shock and sadness when tragedies like this occur. This is, indeed, a very sad time for Manchester.

“Finally, the co-operation of the public has been very gratefully received. We had many messages throughout the night from people volunteering their services, blankets, first aid skills and tea. It was extremely heart-warming to receive such messages,” he added.

Speaking on social media site Twitter, chief nursing officer for England Professor Jane Cummings said: “My thoughts are with all those affected by the incident in Manchester including the victims and those bereaved. Thanks to all staff who responded.”

Niall Dickson, chief executive of the NHS Confederation, which represents health service organisations, said: “Our thoughts are with everyone affected by this shocking tragedy.

“Together with the other emergency services, frontline NHS responders, managers, and other staff have once again responded superbly to a major incident and are providing the treatment, care and support that is needed,” he said.

“It is at times like these that as a society we really appreciate how important the health service is in all our lives,” he noted.

  • As of Wednesday morning, the Greater Manchester Health and Social Care Partnership said 119 people were taken by ambulance or made their own way to hospital after the attack. Of those, 64 are currently being treated including 20 people who are still in critical care across Greater Manchester.
  • 1 Comment

Readers' comments (1)

  • Devastating to hear about Manchester and so many children involved too.
    The only good thing to come out of this is the amazing unity of everyone. Warming to hear how everyone pulled together in support on this sad day. I wish I could have helped if I didn't live other side of the country. Our thoughts are with you Manchester xxx

    Unsuitable or offensive? Report this comment

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.

Related Jobs