Deborah Huyton from the University of Central Lancashire was last night named “most inspirational student nurse of the year” at a glittering awards ceremony in London.
The judges described Ms Huyton as “quietly inspirational with a high impact factor” and said her ability to reflect, learn and influence her own practice and that of others was “remarkable”.
The winners of the 2016 Student Nursing Times Awards were announced on 28 April at the London Hilton, Park Lane.
The winners across 17 categories also included the University of Stirling as “nurse pre-registration education provider of the year” and “mentor of the year” Mike Tomlinson, from Royal Wolverhampton Hospitals NHS Trust.
The awards are intended to pay tribute to students who have demonstrated the academic achievement, clinical prowess and personal qualities that will make them brilliant nurses.
They are also designed to recognise and reward brilliant educational establishments and honour those who are committed to developing new nursing talent as mentors, lecturers and providers of placements.
Nursing Times editor Jenni Middleton said: “If you are training to be a nurse or are already a nurse, you are a pretty exceptional person.
“At Nursing Times, we want to support nurses to be the best they can be,” she said.
“Our Nursing Times Awards winners and Student Nursing Times Awards winners are role models of what hard work, commitment and talent can see you achieve,” she added.
The Student Nursing Times Awards are the only awards to celebrate the very best in student nurses and nurse education.
Now in its fifth year, the 2016 event saw a record number of entries, with 163 finalists shortlisted and 17 deserving winners.
Full list of winners:
- Educator of the Year – Dr Amelia Swift, University of Birmingham
- Student Midwife of the Year – Natalie Corden, Canterbury Christ Church University
- Partnership of the Year – Buckinghamshire New University and Independent Voices
- Nurse Education Provider of the Year (post-registration) – University of Nottingham
- Student Placement of the Year (Community) – Stockport Foundation Trust and Stockport MBC, Stockport Intermediate Care Team
- Student Nurse of the Year: Mental Health – Robert Murray, University of Stirling
- Learner of the Year: Post-registration – Aquiline Chivinge, University of Nottingham
- Student Placement of the Year (Hospital) – University of Manchester and Tameside General Hospital
- Student Nurse of the Year: Children – Roxanne Williams, Birmingham City University
- Mentor of the Year – Mike Tomlinson, Royal Wolverhampton Hospitals NHS Trust
- Student Nurse of the Year: Learning Disabilities – Craig Bell, University of Nottingham
- Student Nurse of the Year: Adult – Victoria Abrahams, Birmingham City University
- Most Inspirational Student Nurse of the Year – Deborah Huyton, University of Central Lancashire
- Return to Practice Course of the Year – Glasgow Caledonian University
- Teaching Innovation of the Year – Kingston University & St George’s, University of London
- Outstanding Contribution to Student Affairs – Jodi Shaw, University of Nottingham
- Nurse Education Provider of the Year (pre-registration) – University of Stirling