The dermatology outpatients team at University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay NHS Foundation Trust has been named “team of the year” at the British Dermatology Nursing Group’s annual conference.
Unit manager Denise Hines, skin cancer nurse specialist Ceri Kennedy, clinical nurse specialist Elizabeth Newsham and dermatology nurse Angela Hewitson collected the award at the event in Belfast on 14 June.
“This reward is overdue as recognition for the excellent service they consistently deliver”
The British Dermatology Nursing Group introduced the award in 2008 to celebrate team work and as a recognition of the importance of working together.
The group confirmed it had numerous nominations for the award and its executive unanimously agreed that Morecambe Bay was the best.
Ms Hines said: “We are delighted to receive this award on behalf of every single member of the dermatology team across bay.
“The award recognises our team and their dedication and enthusiasm to provide the best possible patient care that we can,” she added.
The unit offers dermatology outpatient services at the trust’s Furness General Hospital, Royal Lancaster Infirmary, Westmorland General Hospital and Ulverston Health Centre.
Between 1 April 2016 and 31 March 2017 the team completed 28,828 outpatient appointments, noted the trust.
Nurse-led services at the unit have been developed over the years to include:
- Phototherapy – ultra violet light treatment for many conditions including psoriasis and eczema
- Photodynamic therapy – non surgical treatment for pre-cancerous and low risk skin cancers
- Minor surgery – nurses carry out diagnostic tests and curative procedures for all types of skin lesions and conditions
- Biologics – drugs that target specific parts of the immune system to help control psoriasis, which has been life changing for some patients
- Prescribing clinics for acnes, eczema and psoriasis as well as other skin conditions
- Dedicated skin cancer follow up clinics for diagnosis, treatment options and ongoing support
The team, which includes 23 dermatology nurses, also works closely with colleagues in plastics, the maxillofacial surgery unit and primary and tertiary care centres.
Richard Vallely, clinical services manager at the trust, said: “This is a fantastic award for this highly skilled and extremely busy nursing team. The team are the heart-beat of the department.
“Over recent years, the team has extended their skills base and many of these nurses now undertake additional duties not ordinarily found as part of the nursing job description,” he said.
“This reward is overdue as recognition for the excellent service they consistently deliver whilst demand for their services continuously increases,” said Ms Vallely.
Trust executive chief nurse Sue Smith said: “I am extremely proud of the team’s achievements. The team really do go above and beyond for their patients and thoroughly deserve this recognition.”
Morecambe Bay dermatology team win nursing accolade