Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Child strangulation risk from Venetian blinds


Venetian blinds should be redesigned to safeguard babies and toddlers from accidentally being strangled to death by the looped cords, according to a paediatrician.

Dr Mahesh Masand, consultant paediatrician at Dr Gray’s Hospital in Elgin, successfully treated a toddler found hanging from the looped cord of a blind, but warns that at least one child dies each year in the UK this way. He said: “There should be a safer way of raising a blind than using a looped cord”.

He recommended that parents take precautions by shortening loops or installing devices that kept loops taut against walls.


Readers' comments (2)

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.

Related Jobs