England’s only epilepsy specialist midwife has won a patient nominated award from the Royal College of Midwives.
The Mums’ Midwife of the Year Award – sponsored by the parenting website Emma’s Diary – is one of the RCM’s annual awards to recognise the work of “exceptional” midwives.
“The care these midwives gave is a shining example of all that is great in midwifery practice in the UK”
The award is nominated by patients so they can pay tribute to a midwife who “truly surpassed what was expected of them before”.
Kim Morley, who works for Hampshire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, was nominated by Clair Cobbold who has epilepsy.
Ms Cobbold said: “Thanks to Kim’s guidance and giving us the reassurance and confidence we needed, I had an amazing experience when giving birth.
“Epilepsy is just so complex from before getting pregnant, during pregnancy and then after birth – both in caring for the baby and contraception. Kim is with you throughout the whole journey and her knowledge is incredible,” she said.
Ms Morley said she was “honoured” to win the award. “I find it difficult to articulate just how much this means to me and the service I provide for such a courageous group of women,” she said.
Epilepsy specialist midwife wins national award
“Wanting to be a voice for these women has structured my dedication and continued professional development over the last 16 years,” she added.
Cathy Warwick, RCM chief executive, said: “I warmly congratulate all the regional winners in this category.”
She highlighted that the award was especially “close to my heart”, as it encompassed care, one of the core values of midwifery.
“The care these midwives gave to those who nominated them is a shining example of all that is great in midwifery practice in the UK,” she said.
Emma’s Diary, an online parenting club for expectant and new mothers, received a 671 nominations for the award.
All entries were judged by a panel of representatives from both the RCM and Emma’s Diary, culminating in seven regional winners (see below).
The regional winners:
- South regional winner and overall national winner – Kim Morley (Hampshire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust) who was nominated by Clair Cobbold
- Northern Ireland regional winner – Donna McLoughlin (Southern Health and Social Care Trust) who was nominated by Aine Cunningham
- Wales regional winner – Bryany Tweedale-Bend (Abertawe Bro Morgannwg University Health Board) who was nominated by Laura Geary
- London regional winner – Hilary Scott (Kingston Hospital NHS Foundation Trust) who was nominated by Gillian Breen
- Midlands and East regional winner – Claire South (The Dudley Group NHS Foundation Trust) who was nominated by Lucy Goodway
- Scottish regional winner – Marie Carroll-Smith (NHS Lanarkshire) who was nominated by Lynn McDowall
- North regional winner – Gillian Coulthard (Gateshead Health NHS Foundation Trust) who was nominated by Samantha Murdoch