Alzheimer's sufferer Violet Smith was taken to hospital in January 2008 after being severely burned when she was placed on a commode of hot water at the Charlton Centre for Alzheimer's and Dementia, Batley, West Yorkshire, where she had been a patient since 2000.
Registered nurse Andrea Garrick, 38, and care assistants Jodie Atkinson and Danielle Schofield, both 22, appeared before Leeds Crown Court charged with wilful neglect, but Judge Geoffrey Marson QC ruled there was no case to answer and discharged the three defendants.
Prior to the incident Ms Garrick, of Bevor Crescent, Heckmondwike; Ms Atkinson, of Doubting Road, Dewsbury, and Ms Schofield, of Thornton Road, Dewsbury, had assisted Ms Smith onto the commode in an attempt to treat constipation and haemorrhoids.
Ms Atkinson told the court she would never have placed the pensioner on the commode if she thought it was unsafe and asked Ms Garrick about the safety procedures involved.
She said: "She said it was safe because she had done the practice before."
Related article: Day in the Life of a CareHome Manager