Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Nurses advised to check indemnity cover in wake of new law


Practice nurses and registrants working in the independent sector have been urged to check their insurance arrangements to make sure they are covered in case something goes wrong.

The call, from lawyers, comes in the light of new legislation that makes all registered nurses and midwives responsible for ensuring they have appropriate indemnity cover.

The change – introduced by the government to strengthen patient protection – means anyone joining the nursing register or renewing their registration must declare they have appropriate insurance.

“I personally would be inclined to stop work until I was properly assured by my employers that the correct cover was in place”

Andrew Lockhart-Mirams

Nurses working for the NHS should be automatically covered by their employer’s insurance. However, those working outside the health service, or nurses and midwives who are self-employed, have been advised to check their insurance arrangements.

“People have to bear in mind… they will now have to evidence they have got those indemnity arrangements in place,” said Christian Dingwall, partner and head of the corporate commercial department at the health and social care law firm Hempsons.

“For most people that will simply be demonstrating they’re in NHS employment – that’s not a problem,” he said. “However, if they do have any additional private practice then they will need to demonstrate cover for that.

“People working for private sector organisations should check their employer has got appropriate insurance in place,” he warned.

Andrew Lockhart-Mirams, senior partner at Lockharts Solicitors, also recommended practice nurses checked that their GP employer’s indemnity policy covered nursing staff.

“It would ordinarily be the case that the GP principals would be vicariously liable for any wrongdoing committed by the nurse,” he said. “To be on the safe side, an employed nurse in such a situation should insist on seeing confirmation that the GPs medical defence organisation cover extends to the work done by the nursing staff.

“If there is prevarication about this I personally would be inclined to stop work until I was properly assured by my employers that the correct cover was in place,” he added.

The new rules, which come into force from the end of this month, coincide with recent changes to the Royal College of Nursing’s indemnity scheme, which mean it no longer covers employed nurses.

Aesthetic nursing practice – including cosmetic procedures like Botox injections – are also no longer covered by the RCN scheme because of the higher risk of compensation claims linked to this kind of work.

Self-employed nurses who are members of the RCN may be covered by the college’s “fall back” indemnity scheme. However, self-employed nurses who are not RCN members will need to make their own insurance arrangements.

One group that may particularly struggle are independent midwives. Cases where babies have been harmed in childbirth have results in multi-million pound compensation awards, making the cost of indemnity insurance prohibitively expensive for individuals.

Mr Dingwall said: “Unless you’re providing an NHS service and are able to access the NHS Litigation Authority’s clinical negligence scheme, it’s very difficult to see how independent midwives would be able to afford the insurance premiums in order to continue to practice.”


Readers' comments (4)

  • I work for NHSP, I contacted them to ask what their arrangements are, they told me By email that I would be covered by the NHS whilst working for them, they could not send me any documentation to verify this. Should I trust an Email, or insist on official documentation. Any thoughts anyone...

    Unsuitable or offensive? Report this comment

  • Surely a certificate of insurance with the registrant's name on it, such as those issued by house / car insurers, is the way forward? A copy of this can then be sent to the NMC when required.

    Unsuitable or offensive? Report this comment

  • In the independent sector, nurses should be wary of the integrity of employers who, to have indemnity insurance but they move blame to individual nurses for their failings which may result in their insurance not covering the nurse.

    Unsuitable or offensive? Report this comment

  • keep the e-mail stating the cover you have been promised but ask for more evidence. You cant afford to have room for doubt and error. If they cant provide further evidence you need to ask why not.

    Unsuitable or offensive? Report this comment

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.