Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

'Poisonous mushrooms'

  • Comment

This patient presented with decreased consciousness, twitching, drooling, and urinary incontinence after ingesting poisonous mushrooms.

These symptoms are consistent with cholinergic poisoning, caused by the ingestion of cholinergic toxins like muscarine, ibotenic acid, and muscimol, which are present in many mushroom species. Symptoms typically resolve within 12 hours, but anticholinergic medication like atropine can be used if bronchial secretions are increased.

See more cases like this on Figure 1.

 

  • Comment

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.